Speaking of dogs.. Why do they do that?

Why do they follow you everywhere? This dog doesn't even like me to go into the bathroom without him... What is with that? Oh, ya and he has gas really bad right now.. ugh!!!

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• lol, mine gets the worst gas- I got mine when he was very young (barely old enough to be seperated from momma) I believe it is because of the innate "pack" mentality... to your dog you are the alpha... also an interesting expiriment- dogs will attach to the most 'alpha" person in the room and it takes a very short amount of time for them to figure out who it is... see if he attaches to you or your husband or one of your kids- then you'll know who really wears the pants..hehe
    I am the alpha unless my husband is home...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 2:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• They are pack animals....they like to be with their pack (meaning YOU) some are better at being seperated while some can't handle it at all...depends on the dog! I have one that HAS to be with me at all times (OMG when I was preg. it was even worse- she even got into the shower with me 'cuz just being in the bathroom wasn't enough!). My other dog....he like to be around me but just knowing I'm home is enough for him.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's the pack mentality!

i'm pregnant as well, and we've got a jacuzzi bathtub... I had a backache and the dogs did nothing but sit and lay where they could stare at me... waiting on me to command or make a comment to go away. I was in the tub and had to take pictures to phone to my husband... both of them, Jess sitting and Chloe standing up against the tub STARING AT ME!!! Freakin' creepers...

I can't go potty alone either, Jess will lay down at my feet, and Chloe will climb into my lap, which both can be very aggrivating!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i wrote the question above yours...anyway.ya they are pack animals.my husband is the pack leader.and from what i gather my daughter and i are his puppies.he watches us like a hawk.follows us.he listens but really to my husband.he is a shepherd.so i do have to watch him cause he is territorial.but he does follow us around.in the morning he will go in and sleep with my daughter till she wakes up and then licks her back.its funny.when someone is at the door and he knows the person he will go to the door and then come and get me or go back and forth till i go.but if he doesnt know them and is apprehensive hmmm.he stays there and barks that bark...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My dog is the same way. He follows me EVERYWHERE and it gets annoying. Mine has to be in the bathroom when I take a shower and even if I just go in there to pee. My dog is always by my side.  Like mentioned above, dogs are pack animals and don't like to be alone.  It annoys me when my dog does it, but at the same time I enjoy having my dog at my side.

Some breeds are prone to be gassy, especially breeds that have really short noses (pugs for instance). It may also be something you are feeding the dog. Higher quality foods may help with the gas. Table food (people food) can also cause gas in dogs.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 2:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well, I boarded him for a week last week.. it seems like his stomach has been messed up ever since. He eats his regular food here but always has scraps, so I figured the change in diet wouldn't hurt him.. not sure what is going on... He has to back to be boarded this weekend, so maybe I'll send him own food... Yuck!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009