Pineapple Overdose HELP!

I ate half of a pineapple last night and ate the other half for breakfast. I guess the acid in it "ate" my tongue's protective layer of something because my tongue hurts sooooo bad. It hurts and feels funny in general. This also happens when I eat kiwi and lemons or alot of oranges. It's never been this bad before though. All day, I can't eat anything or drink anything but room temp water without my tongue feeling like there is no "skin" on it. What can I do and does this happen to anyone else? (if there are any other freaks out there who can eat an entire pineapple by themselves in 8 hours, lol)

navy-wife

Asked by navy-wife at 2:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• unfortunately, just let it be. :/ When I eat pineapple a few days in a row I get the same thing. Try to stay away from acidic/spicy things in the meantime.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 2:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• LOL! I can do the same thing! I get little cancer sores in my mouth when I eat anything citrus. I do one of 2 things. There is this mouthwash that you can get from the pharmacy, its call Glyoxide. You just put a few drops in your mouth and it'll foam up, sounds gross but it works. Or Lysine, its an herb that you can get in the vitamin section of the grocery store, but it takes a little bit longer to work.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 2:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• canker sores...canker. not cancer. that would be scary.
    Anonymous

• i don't think there is anything you can do... your dr may be able to prescribe something that will numb the area
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• http://www.drugs.com/npp/pineapple.html

Are you pregnant? Please read this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Pregnancy/Lactation
    Avoid use because little or no information exists on the use of moderate quantities of pineapple in pregnancy or lactation. Historically, pineapple has been used as an emmenagogue and abortifacient, and large quantities of pineapple juice have been reported to cause uterine contractions.

SusieD250

• Holy Cow! I'm pregnant AND breastfeeding. I feel no contractions and feel usual (only really on edge, which happens, lol) I'm 23 weeks almost 24.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is interesting that it has anti-inflammatory properties. I think I am going to get some for dh. He can't take other NSADS, but has bursitis.
    How are you feeling except for the tongue?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's a reaction to the bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme, which breaks down proteins. When we eat too much of it, it is rather like it is eating away at the tongue, lips, etc. Limit quantities in one sitting, and you can do a baking soda-water rinse to help with immediate tenderness. Baking soda neutralizes the acids, which also contribute to the "raw" sensation. Actually, the people who work in the pineapple fields for years and years often lose their fingerprints from the enzymes in the pineapple!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My tongue hurts too if I eat too much pineapple.. maybe drinking some milk would help calm it down.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009