Let's ponder shall we...???

Ok just a thought bubble that came in my head....as it happens quite often. I would to discuss why companies should be able to run a credit check before they hire you? How do you feel about this? What are the reason's of why they do this? Why isn't just doing a background check good enough anymore? Do you think it is fair or do you think companies are pushing the limits? Especially if the job that is offered only pays $10/hr. I could understand if a person was going to be handling the money in any way or something like a CEO or CFO but for a little bit over min wage?

Let me know how you feel gals....

SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Asked by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I believe that is why they do the credit check, is to make sure that if, at some point, they have you handling money, that you wouldn't be tempted to steal it. Personally, I don't agree with it. I have no credit, and I don't feel that my credit or lack thereof has anything to do with my performance as an employee. Besides, if someone is going to steal, they're going to do it whether they are in debt or not. Debt, to me, is not an indicator that someone will steal money or even be more tempted to steal money, or anything else for that matter.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I understand running a credit check if you are going to be dealing with money. Of course, it wouldn't be a perfect way to weed out people who might steal from you, but they are only trying to protect themselves.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think a background check would be far more beneficial. The way you handle your finances does not mean you are going to steal money..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Because someone who has bad credit and is overextended may become desperate and resort to stealing. I'm not saying that it is true for even half the population, but that is what companies think. If you are careless with your own money, then how can they think that you wouldn't be careless with their money. Is it fair? No not really, that is putting everyone who has had some problems in the past into the same pile with those who are purposely running up debt without a care, but that's what they think.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My credit has nothing to do with how hard working,dedicated,or honest I am.
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 4:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it's good to run credit checks. Before hiring that company needs to determine if you can do the job, and if you honor your commitments. When someone takes out a loan and doesn't pay back the min on time each month at least for whatever reason it sends out a message to that company that this person has some issues and isn't paying on time. Whatever the reasons are no one wants to employ someone who they think is irresponsible. If it's not their fault i'm sure they can explan and it can be verified.too.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It's been noted that people who owe money tend to be more distracted at work because of worry over debt, get calls at work from their creditors, and tend not to honor other committments. It may have nothing to do with you personally, but it's an easy way for the employer to weed out potential problem employees. With the market the way it is alot of employers can be as picky as they want. If you were an employer and you had a choice between two resumes, one person was $20,000 in debt and the other had a great record, who would you choose?
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009