Graduation tickets

My children all go to a private school that me and my DH pay for. My oldest child is from another relationship but my ex has never helped to pay for school tuition, heck he didn't even always pay child support. Anyway, my oldest is graduating in June. We just got the tickets, each family gets 5 tickets that are in the front, if you need more, you can buy them for $75 each ( the high price helps pay for the graduation and also prevents current students from buying up all the extra tickets just to go and be rowdy and obnoxious). I feel the 5 tickets should go to me, dh and our 3 other kids, I don't think it's fair to expect us to give my ex some of them and then we have to pay for the additional tickets since we paid so much to put him through the school. I told my ex about how and where to buy the tickets, and that the least he could do is buy his own ticket, he is upset. I guess I just feel the tickets should go to the people who put the child through school. Also since the tickets have seat numbers, if we gave one or two to my ex and then bought more for the rest of us, my family wouldn't even be able to sit together. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on May. 5, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• I do tend to agree that your ex should be the one buying extra tickets not you guys.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:23 PM on May. 5, 2012

• You paid for school..tell the ex to buy his own. Your family should sit together, period. Tell him to scratch his mad place. LOL My Mom used to tell us that as kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2012

• Let your ex fend for himself. Your family needs all 5 tickets so enjoy!
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 8:26 PM on May. 5, 2012

• Let the ex spend $75 for a seat.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:32 PM on May. 5, 2012

• If the ex had been paying some tuition and/or support all these years then you should give him a ticket, but since you say he has not then he can buy his own ticket.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 6, 2012

• I agree with the others, let the ex pay for his own tickets.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on May. 5, 2012

• I don't think it is fair to expect the ex to pay extra above and beyond child support so that the child can go to private school. So I would completely leave that part out of the discussion the next time you have to explain this to anyone. I do think your family should sit together and his family should sit with him. I don't think it will kill him to buy his own tickets. Make sure he knows he still owes you back child support.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:45 PM on May. 14, 2012

• He should buy his own tickets. BUT not because you paid for the tuition because you all need to sit together.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:58 AM on May. 29, 2012