Let's ponder shall we...???

Ok just a thought bubble that came in my head....as it happens quite often. I would to discuss why companies should be able to run a credit check before they hire you? How do you feel about this? What are the reason's of why they do this? Why isn't just doing a background check good enough anymore? Do you think it is fair or do you think companies are pushing the limits? Especially if the job that is offered only pays $10/hr. I could understand if a person was going to be handling the money in any way or something like a CEO or CFO but for a little bit over min wage?

Let me know how you feel gals....

SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Asked by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 2:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I know that military does bc it they think that if you are in debt you may be desperate for $$ and more easily bribed.
    Anonymous

• personally i think it's bullshit!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think that companies have a right to determine who they want to hire as long as it's not discrimination, and it's only discrimination if they won't hire you because of a condition that you can't control, like your race, gender, etc. You can control your credit, and it does say something about how responsible you are, or if you get yourself into situations where you are over your head.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I had to take a credit check when I managed a restaurant. It wasn't really the actual score that they were interested in, but the amount of unsecured debt. If you had crazy amounts without a viable explanation they were a little nervous about handing over thousands of dollars to you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I dont have a problem with it. I used to own a company and would use whatever methods I had to see the kind of person an employee was before hiring them. And now the job market is so bad I think a private company has every right to look into who they may have working for them. Like it or not someone with bad credit can be a risk. Maybe they dont steal but being irresponsible and not paying your bills is something employers look at. If you cant pay bills maybe you wont come to work. If you dont pay bills maybe you have other problems like drug addictton, family issues etc. I know some cases child supp shows on credit along with alimoney. If someone isnt supporting their kids or ex wife then what kind of person is that? All of that can come into play.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the position. However, if I were an employer (say a small business where my livelihood was on the line), I would want ever advantage to provide my business with an employee I could trust. If you employ more than one person, you also are considering the livelihoods of your other employees. If they tend to have bad spending habits, this may be an indication that they might not be the right fit. Similarly, you would want to know their residency status (if they move around a lot, red flag), or change jobs a lot. I don't have a problem with it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I run a credit check on any receptionist we hire, we only have one, but they usually stay around 2-3 years. Anyway, if their credit is good, the chances of them stealing from petty cash accounts is less.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• IMO, It demonstrates reliability, accountability, and trust.

It is legal to do and I see no problem with it. I see it like this~ If you have delinquent accounts and are facing legal issues, it may put you in a high risk category to do something "extreme". It may mean you will be more focused on your debt and less on your work. It may demonstrate a trend of poor decision making ability and lack of personal responsibility.  If you are going to have to order things from a company credit card, use a cash register, file for business expense reimbursement. or be responsible for handling expensive assets, I can see the need to perform a credit check.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think is it total bull crap. i mean i have teriible credit now because i had trouble balancing my own money and living within my means. But that doesn't mean i am not qualified for a job based on my personal finances. The company i work for now i handle all there books, bills and everything. If hasnot hindered my ability one little bit. I think the credit thing is a ridiculous policy and should only be based on if you are a criminal . I mean look at how many people are struggling with money now days. And i guarantee you they were prob turned down for a job based on there credit that they would have breezed right through. I think that i read on when i was applying to work kfor the local school like in the office that they ran a credit report. I was like what.
    Anonymous

• I hate it because I had to file bankruptcy two years ago due to medical debt. I had well over $18,000 in medical debt and I only made $7.50 per hour! They wouldnt work with me to send payments. So I had no choice. I would have never got that paid off. So its not like I was over spending on credit cards. That situation was out of my control and I hate that I may not get a job because of that.
    Anonymous