Why does he do that?!?

Kai (my 8 mo. son) "discovered himself" a month or so ago. So now during diaper changes I have to keep pushing his hands away cause he's trying to grab his little winker while I'm trying to change his diaper. No biggee. But recently he's started like humping things. Toys, furniture he even tries to hump us. DH thinks it's hilarious (men are so mature) but I'm not amused. I'm so afraid he's going to do it when we leave him with a sitter and they're going to think he's being molested or something. We don't have sex with him in the room so it's not learned behavior. Does anyone else's baby do this? Is this normal?

lilmama823

Asked by lilmama823 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What he is doing is not humping. The two things you described have nothing to do with each other. My baby does the same thing. To him it's just a movement, it's not a sexual thing . It's just a way to show he is excited about something. Is he crawling? Most of the time My baby does it to show he wants to move forward.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• it's normal! and it will pass! my son did the same thing... it's a fun little toy that he can play with and it;s connected so why not?! just try not to bring too much attention to it.. tell him it;s private.. he's a little young to understand though good luck!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think all babies do the hump thing. I dont think he really knows what hes feelin down there at that age. He just realizes there is something there he never felt before and he will begin to pull to see if it will come off.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• right now its a normal behavior.. when he's older make sure you explain to him that playing with it is only for private tho.. I know a kid who still does it and he's 6.. in front of people and everything.. you don't want that!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son doesn't hump, but he does smile whenever you wipe him during a diaper change. He likes it better when the wipes are cold too. He's a little strange :-/
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son does the humping thing too, but it is not sexual. I think it is sorta like an evasive maneuver, like when I am changing his diaper it makes it hard on me, or when I am putting him in his carseat he does it so I can't get the buckle done without aiming like a million times. He laughs when he does it. He also does it when he wants to go somewhere. Like he is using his body to point instead of his finger.
    MelissaLea84

Answer by MelissaLea84 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• it's normal but now is the right time to teach him not to do it. When he starts just stop him and say "we don't do that" he'll get the picture... hopefully.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009