Did anyone have a false positive on their AFP tests?

If so what was it for and what did they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• is that the test for downs and other neural tube defects? if so, yes I had a false positive.
    my doctor sent me for a Level 2 US and to talk to a geneticist. The geneticist took a detailed family history, and discussed the results of the test with me and explained which numbers mean what and that mine didn't actually fit in with any defects, then they did the Level 2 US which just a long US where they measure tons more stuff and look at things in detail. I had a beautiful healthy baby girl! :)
    Anonymous

• I didn't, but I know so many people who have had false positives. They all have perfectly healthy, normal children. My OB even told me that she does not recommend the AFP test done unless a woman is just at high risk for stuff because the false positive rate is so high and it causes a lot of unnecessary worry.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I've had two false positives with my second and third children. I've declined it since then. They didn't do anything because I didn't want them too. I wouldn't abort under any circumstances nor would I be willing to allow an amnio.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009