So, what exactly IS Hell?

Seems there are different ideas of exactly WHAT Hell IS.  So, 

(1) describe it for me-what am I in for?   

Also, (2) how was it created?

and (3)  if you don't mind, what denomination are you (if you are Christian)?

*yes it's in debate ;)

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 10:20 AM on May. 6, 2012 in Religious Debate

• BTW all three heaven, hell and purgatory are not physical places but a state of being.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:39 AM on May. 6, 2012

• Makes you wonder how some women around here type with no hands...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:13 PM on May. 6, 2012

• layh......................I think I love you! LMAO
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:53 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Now the fire and burning in the bible that many use to describe hell is actually purgatory. the burning of the chaff, sins away so you can enter Heaven. A purification process. Which can be and is painful. Not in the physical sense, but the spiritual. As you now see through Gods eyes how your actions and words harmed others. Yes I know Jesus died for our sins. he died so we could go to heaven. Up until him everyone slept in the Sheol. He opened heaven and gave us an opportunity to also pay for our own sins. Just like a good father would make his children pay for the broken window to learn to be better people and not just pay for it himself.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:36 AM on May. 6, 2012

daps.... this makes much more sense then any explanation I've ever heard. Thanks for that.

Answer by Crafty26 a minute ago

I can't credit for that I steal from early Christians. But you're welcome.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:49 AM on May. 6, 2012

• Hel has one "l" and we all go there, unless we are amazing enough to go to one of the alternatives. Very few people will, and it's not exactly nirvana (if it was, we'd be Buddhists instead). There is no torture or fire or brimstone. I don't know why people chose to add a second l and pervert it into something else. The word "Hell" itself does not appear in the bible originally - only through modern translations. It uses Gehenna, sheol and Hades - the third actually being from Greek religion, but used for translation purposes, as well.  

The idea of Hel was perverted by European missionaries, as part of the massive conversion by force and coercion, using the same name as our afterlife, but giving it the qualities of the Judeo-Christian sheol. I recommend lisarose's summary.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 PM on May. 6, 2012

• Thanks! I am very much against acting like that. I feel people should be judged by actions, not religion.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:18 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I'm Catholic and I believe that Hell is a dark, depressing place with fire pits.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:22 AM on May. 6, 2012

Which is how I see it to, but then it calls into confusion of what you mean by "God" because if god is seen as a physical entity or belief in this case then teh definition of hell as being "an absence from god' does not reconcile with hell as a state of being. Though if you are looking at god in a metaphorical aspect it would but then you must define "god".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:30 PM on May. 6, 2012

• Hell is the total absence of God, his grace, his mercy.

Here's a good explanation of what Hell is: http://youtu.be/NjjBRfvKXa4
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:08 PM on May. 6, 2012