Is it possible for babies to have night mares or night terrors?

My baby is 1 month old. When she sleeps she will start crying/screaming for a moment and then just go back to bein sound asleep. It occurs a few times when she sleeps . Not all the time.
Is this normal?

mgurl

Asked by mgurl at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None of mine have ever screamed like that but I've seen them frown & wimper or smile while sleeping so they do dream. The only other thing I could think of would possibly be gas or some kind of pain like that but if it's consistently every night it's probably a dream that's scaring or upsetting her.
    Vballchick

Answer by Vballchick at 3:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My DS did that for approx 3 months....just randomly in his sleep he would scream and then go back to sleep. He would also grunt and make other weird noises....but they are not awake when they are doing it. It took me awhile to understand that as I would jump up every 2 mins! Not sure if its nightmares....not really sure what makes them do that
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my baby has been dreamingg since he was born. he does sometimes scream then go back to sleep. the books say in a few months but i think babies dream all the time
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my baby does that sometimes too... i feel like if i turn him over or something, he stops, sometimes he does it when he thinks i'm not there.. also, i just started introducing rice cereal, and i noticed he would do it more frequently on the days i gave him cereal.. but like i said sometimes he did it randomly... i think they do dream... but it could be a physical pain too... .one time my boyfriend thought it could be that his arm fell asleep or something and he didn't know what it was... lol.... who knows?? i don't think you really have to worry though... :)
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my 4 month old screems like he is scared sometimes while he is sleeping. it makes me so sad. i dont know what they dream about, but the cry sounds like it is a horribal nightmare. : (
    momofaprodigy

Answer by momofaprodigy at 3:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009