If you are committed and steadfast in your beliefs...

and after telling you about my beliefs, you do not convert....are you just being stubborn and obstinate?

IF you are in fact commited to your beliefs....do you consider yourself "stubbornly" commited, or simply spiritually tied to what is true to you? What would it take for you to convert to someone elses' belief?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:49 AM on May. 6, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No, I don't believe that being committed to one's beliefs makes them "stubborn" or "obstinate," etc. I think that there is a difference between being confident or secure in one's faith and being stubborn or arrogant in it. For example, my beliefs are open to change, if I come across information or ideas that open the door for another way of understanding, but that doesn't mean I go changing my mind every time I come across an idea different from my own. The idea of hell, for example, I am confident and committed in my rejection of such a doctrine as contradicting the original language and meaning of the text, and therefore I'm not going to just believe in it just because someone makes an argument for it. There is difference of opinion and understanding, which is one thing, and then there is refusal to even consider an opinion or understanding other than your own, which is being stubborn and obstinate, ec.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2012

• are you just being stubborn and obstinate?

Obviously since MY beliefs are the only Right ones because they are the TRUTH. You need to change yoyur ways to get on the RIGHT path, My path, NOW. I'm not being rude I'm just sharing my gospel with you. Ramble,ramble,ramble
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:56 AM on May. 6, 2012

• No. I have no problem accepting you may believe differently, but that doesn't mean I think you're correct. I don't mean this is in an arrogant way - my beliefs are ingrained in me to the point that to hear another viewpoint is like suggesting to me the sky is pink. It's great you have that viewpoint, but I just don't see it that way.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 AM on May. 6, 2012

• I'm very committed to my beliefs, if anyone wants to consider that being "stubborn", then whatever. I'm certain of them.
    I have no interest in converting anyone, though.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:59 AM on May. 6, 2012

• Thankfully, I belong to a belief system that does not push me to go out and annoy others to death. It focuses on being the best me I can be .

I hold to my faith out of rightness. I fully believe to lack of aa need to 'street preach" in my religion is what makes it feel true to me. I am neither stubborn nor obstinate. I will bend like a willow with your words, unable to be spiritually broken by yours condemnations. Because, in order to "convert" someone" you must shame them first, who needs that karma?

If you feel tthe need to ask me, I will answer, but i won't force reed you my beliefs or try to shame you and belittle you to make you convert.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 12:01 PM on May. 6, 2012

• Now on a more serious note, I think it's pretty stubborn and obstinate trying to convert people. MOST people have explored and chose their beliefs for a reason in which case you're not going to convinve them to convert no matter how many times you spam a message board. Personally, nothing is going to make me convert from mine. Not even a "life-changing experience or death of a loved one". Been there, done that, still an Atheist

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:01 PM on May. 6, 2012

• if i'm committed and steadfast, there's nothing to be stubborn about. it (the commitment) just IS.
    and no one has ever tried to 'convert' me. i've had plenty verbally argue with me about what they believe is correct, but it doesn't matter to me..because i am committed and steadfast in my beliefs.
    therefore, if they continue with badgering me about my 'wrongness', they would be the stubborn one, not i.

of course, as with most words we like to discuss here in RD, 'stubborn' could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on context and user's intent. :)
    have a great Sunday, girls! *off to take another Lorcet+..stupid migraine!*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:01 PM on May. 6, 2012

• When you believe in something so strongly - that it consumes your heart & soul, that it shapes who you are & is your moral compass, I don't see how you can abandon the essence of who you are to become a whole new you.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:12 PM on May. 6, 2012

• thank you for putting it in this light OP. i hope the one (singular) that needs to see it will and the switch will go off inside that head of hers. *doubtful though*
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:29 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I have chosen the path that is right for me. Since I am assuming no one else knows me or my needs as well as I do, I will also assume that converting me away from what is right for me will be nearly impossible. Not stubborn, just the right path for me ... why would I give that up?
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:33 PM on May. 6, 2012