Why do you bash a mom for wanting to use cereal in the bottle?

OMG! It's SOOO dangerous, huh? Um, no. Really. People are worrying about minor things when there are far more dangerous things out there you expose your kids to!

Check out the link below.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Anonymous

• i used cereal in the bottle... the ped had no prob w/ it!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 3:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I've never bashed anyone for choosing to give their child cereal, but I have advised against it. To me it's not so much about allergies or choking hazards. It's simply because a baby's stomach is not ready to digest cereal when they are born and it can cause digestive problems. They don't need the cereal, it has very little nutrition benefits. Just because you personally have not seen this doesn't make it any less true. I have seen it first hand and have discussed it with multiple doctors. People can make their own choices when it comes to their child.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My little boy had rice cereal in his bottle starting at about 3 weeks old. The pediatrician is the one who suggested it! He's 4 now, and he's fine, never choked, his stomach digested the cereal well. Many other babies do fine with this also. So much of the onfo being posted today is false. But that's just how it is with the SAME women over and over .... not happy till they insult and bash and try to make THEIR point. It sucks i'm answering this anonymously, but after a formula question a few days ago I got tons of nasty pm's. Sometimes this site gets on my nerves >:(
    Anonymous

• I've never bashed any one for what they do with their kids. I put cereal in my dd's feeder b/c the dr told me too. She needed thick formula for her reflux. I did this for about 2 weeks until I could find her Enfamil AR formula. Once I found the formula it was so much easier to deal with.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son had cereal from a bottle when he was several months old no problems. Has anyone heard the country music song that talks about growing up with all the dangers that people are so scared about today but still being alive? Kind of poking fun at all the warnings. Of course some are legit but seems like every day a new warning is coming out about something....
    Anonymous

• My oldest was on rice cereal at 10 days old, his pedi told me to try and spoon feed it to him and if that didn't work then to put it in his bottle, it doesn't hurt them, it doesn't cause allergies and it doesn't make them obese. It does help with sleeping better, at least it did with my son.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I totally used cereal with both kids to help fill them up! Worked beautifully and I'd do it again!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it's simply the "my way is the only way, the one, true RIGHT way to raise a kid - any kid, even yours"
    Sad.
    Every child is different, every parent is different, every family has different needs. To say that MY way is the only way you can raise YOUR kid is so narrow-minded.

Did cereal in a bottle work for us? No. Did it help her sleep longer? Not a chance. Do I agree with it? No. Simply based on my experience... your experience may vary!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Wow, I noticed NONE of the bashers answered this post but the journal had 32 views so I'm sure they read it! lol. I guess they had nothing to say because they know it's true.
    and Kaycee14, Yes, you see it may have not worked with YOU but that does not veto it for everyone else.
    That's what people think. They think if it doesn't work with them then it's just absolutely wrong and no one should do it.
    Anonymous