• In the Spotlight:

With a newborn is this normal?

My little less than two week old Ellie constantly has gas. She is always pushing it out of her bum and it is the smelliest gas ever! She has regular bowel movements and is fed breast milk and supplemented with Similac Advance with iron.

Is this normal?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try Similac Sensitive. It has reduced lacotse. You can also give her a little Mylicon.
    Anonymous

• it is totally normal to have gas they take in ait with feeding. only try to do things if she seems in pain or uncomfortable. if she doesnt seem to mind it, its not a problem. all humans fart!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Totally normal. my baby was and still is the same way. Just not as bad as it was.
    She is on the simalac advance shield formula.
    She is just gassy like that its her stomach and organs getting used to the food and finishing developing and learning to digest the formula and breast milk.
    My baby girls toots are horrible. the smell and they are so loud sometimes. There are times I think she pooped they are so bad and i change her and she is just wet. but they are so bad the smell, the sounds. Its amazing something so little can do that. :)
    If it doesnt seem to get better you can try switching formula or talk to your doctor or pediatrician.
    My lil girl was spittin up a lil bit to at first then the gassyness came.
    mgurl

Answer by mgurl at 3:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I was doing the exact same thing as you and my newborn was having horrible gas too. My ped said it was the mix of breastmilk and formula......anyway, I was not able to breast feed after all. But I did go to Similac Sensitive and used the mylicon drops and his gas did improve.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My three year old's toots can take your newborns anyday. She thinks its hilarious that we turn green when she yells "oops I think I farted'(insert several three year old giggles here)

She wasn't overly gassy when she was a newborn. I agree with mgurl. She is just getting used to eating. If it is worrying you, talk to her ped.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• quit supplementing & nurse more
    Anonymous