HELP!!

Sunday I was sent to the MW with severe chest pains. I was put on the FNS monitor and an US dopplar to monitor baby's movement. I had 3 contractions in under 40mins. After a shot to stop the contractions, I was sent home after an hour nap.

This morning I woke up fine, but started to experience the chest pain again... within 5 minutes of the worst part of the pain hitting, I had a contraction. 22 minutes later, another. I called the drs office, and my ob was out, the MW nurse said if there aren't more than 4 in an hour, not to worry.

I am worried, my mother has a history of preterm labor and troubled pregnancies. Neither me nor my 3 siblings were deemed "normal" pregnancies...

When I have these contractions, should I go in to the MW anyway? Just to make sure they're not more frequent than what I can feel? (I didn't feel the first 5 or 6 hours worth on Sunday...) I'm afraid of preterm labor. i'm only 28wks...

matobe

Asked by matobe at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a history of preterm labor and early contractions of pregnancy caused by a irritable uterus. My obgyn tells me to notify them if I have more then 6 an hour. When I feel like I am having 4 or 5 an hour- the first thing I do is lay on my left side and drink some water- most of these contractions calm down when I make sure to rehydrate myself. Worrying about it causes you stress and stress causes contractions- so the worst thing you can do is stress out about them. If they get worse you may be put on oral medication called brethine or tributaline to help calm your uterus and possibly bedrest. But having this issue is more common then you may think and most women like me have made it to full term despite dealing with this issue. Don't hesitiate to call your obgyn with questions and try to relax.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like the chest pain might be related to the contractions. I would go to the ER for the chest pain and have them check your heart. If you are having a serious medical issue your body will sometimes try to terminate a pregnancy to save itself. The human body is an odd thing. It will not try to handle more than it can in some instances. If you are pregnant and get really sick sometimes your body will decide it is in it's best interest to not be pregnant. So I would also worry about my own health. If it is a problem with you maybe they can fix it.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009