How do you feel when other peoples kids are downright mean to your child?

I don't go to family get togethers too much because the older kids yell and scream at my toddlers and say things like "i hate you, you are stupid, go away" They hit and kick my kids, one even picked up my toddler and threw like a doll on the ground! My kids will be playing by themselves and they still have to mess with them!! The whole time I'm there playing police. The other parents, family members think I'm over protective or just being a bitch. It's not happening to their kids. They just do their own thing and the kids are left alone. Now my family doesn't seem to like us very much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have a broad range of ages in my family and the older kids can sometimes be mean to the little ones but I have seen the little ones give just as good back. My dd has this problem more with her fiances bfs sister. Her dd is always hitting, biting or scratching my grandson and then when my dd says something the little girl throws herself on the ground and starts saying my grandson hit her when he didnt. My dd just stopped going over there. Its a crazy situation and when she asked me that was my advice. I told her why put yourself through that and more importantly why put your son through that? You cant pick your relatives but you can control who you choose to hang out with and expose your kids to.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yeah, that's why we limit it to once every few months. My three year old is horrible the next day. She get's angry from being messed with and then she bites and kicks. Thank God it's not an every day thing with her.
    Anonymous

• Who's being a *****? Just cause you don't want your kids thrown around a treated badly? Families are so complicated. I have also noticed sometimes kids will act the way they hear people talk about you behind your back. An adult would not say those things to your face but behind your back, they might. The kids in your family may be acting on what they hear behind your back. You have 2 choices, 1. You can take the time and energy to change things and prove to those children you are a good person who wants to treat every one nice or 2. You can avoid them. Either way, your kids will learn to not tol such behavior or at least to try and change it. Hope this helps. Just my opinion and I may be wrong.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would not want my children to be treated this way or to see this type of inappropriate behavior. If you must be with these people I would plan an adults only event to avoid putting my children through this. It's sad that the parents of these children don't have higher expectations for their children's behavior. Always do what you think is best for your children and ignore the ignorant parents. It's pretty clear why their children act like they do.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 7:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• whe I first opened this question I intended to write that I know my kids are not always angels either, but then I read further- this seems like quite an extreme case--- seriously? throwing your toddler? I would remove my children from the situation and if the family asks why you don't hang out there anymore you tell them it's because you don't want your kids to be influenced by their little brats (ok- say it nicer than that)

Good luck, sorry you have to deal with that.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009