What works best for children's eczema?

MitchMommyNY

Asked by MitchMommyNY at 10:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• We use Aveeno cream and body wash. Don't bathe your child in hot water, just lukewarm and only bathe about 2-3 times a week to prevent drying out...it will cause it to get irritated. Sometimes, fabric softners and soaps will irritate it too, so for awhile we went to dye-free and fragrance-free laundry products.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• We use Aveeno lotion twice daily everywhere. The one with the light blue cap it has no scent,or dyes. My grandson was having flare ups and hot spots that were cracked open and not healing well at all. Dermatology wanted us to try a new medicine called Verdeso Foam. They make a cream as well but we use the foam. It comes like hair mousse. In less than one week a place that had been open for 2 months healed. We love it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• sorry..had a lot to say as alweays..lol. We were told not to bathe more often than every 3 days unless he was really filthy. In the summer pools, sprinklers and rivers irritate his skin. BUT>>>the ocean calms it. That too was recommended by Derm.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• We use Eucirne calming cream 2-3 times day Works great!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I put soothing natural johnson's lotion on little man at least twice a day and if he has a flair up I put a 10% cortizone cream on him at night and it usually clears it up completly.
    HesMyLife22508

Answer by HesMyLife22508 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• 3 of our kids had eczema. A variety of things worked ... 1finding out what was causing it (food allergies) 2)going to only UNscenting everything (laundry det - I only use dreft for their clothes - bath soaps, aveeno, lotions - aveeno). That was to keep it at bay but to clear it up when they did get it, Hydrocorizon cream worked wonders!!! With our 2nd I also had to watch what materials her clothes were made out of.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Don't use soap/ bubble bath every day.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Don't allow the child to take baths, instead do a quick shower, and before he/she dries up apply a unscented lotion such as Eucerin, which seems the best.

However, check some other things for example is there a history of asthma or allergies in the family? Tell your doctor they can prescribe a good cream or ointment, my son uses protopic, which is prescribed ointment.
    I battled with eczema with my son for 6 years until he had a severe asthma attack. We didn't know he had asthma until his attack 6 months ago. The doctor said that the eczema was a sign of the asthma, so check that out as well.
    mlarsen

Answer by mlarsen at 12:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I agree with the Eucerin...i had it and so did my daughter and in 2days we were clearing up...try Eucerin Plus...
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 1:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• aveeno baby wash
    tonya280

Answer by tonya280 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2008