Any therapists or counselors here? Please answer honestly.

I have several mental health issues, and while I've never been officially diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, I have been told by a therapist that I do have Borderline traits, and I can see that she was correct.

I've also heard that therapists generally dislike treating borderlines - that we're you're least favorite patients. I already hate myself. The idea that a therapist might not even want me there keeps me from seeking the therapy I need.

Please don't sugarcoat - is what I've heard about the attitude of therapists toward borderlines true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on May. 6, 2012 in Health

• I am a therapist an LICSW ( Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker) and yes, those diagnosed with Border Line Personality Disorder are very, very challenging to work with, yet, there are so many effective and promising interventions and medications that are available and hopefully beneficial. I think that it's important to seek out clinicians who have experience and excellent clinical skills in treating Border Line Disorder. I hope this is helpful.
    maureen813

Answer by maureen813 at 1:48 PM on May. 18, 2012

• What is dv?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I meant to.

A life of being unable to maintain relationships is something to get help with, not suffer and expect everyone around you to suffer endlessly with.
    Anonymous

• Omg anon I didn't mean to dv, so sorry.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:58 PM on May. 6, 2012

• Many are idiots who don't want to take the time to learn about us. Personally I think we rock. We're interesting and intelligent. We live life differently from others. It's not a death sentence. We don't have the plague. We're just misunderstood! lol There is a group for Borderlines here on CM. Come join us. You are not alone.
    Anonymous

• It is very positive that you want to get help.

That's so much of the battle.

You need lots and lots of talk therapy.

Everybody has something wrong with their mental health.
    It's just a matter of degree.

Look for women whom you admire for role models.

They haven't gotten where they are by being completely out of control all the time.
    It's teenagerish and a drama queen.

Please don't assume that I don't know how you feel because I do.
    Anonymous

• BPD can be harder than the rest. It's not that they don't LIKE them, it is just that they can be very challenging.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:44 PM on May. 6, 2012

• Like with everything there is degrees to BPD. Dont stay away if can you see you need the help just because you have been been toldby one counselor that no one likes to work with you. That is his opinion. Borderlines are challenging but when you makee progress it is sooo rewarding! I work with several. Im fine with it
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:41 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I'm not a therapist but, I have a psych degree and have worked as a non-profit & state caseworker. And, my most difficult clients were those with Axis I: Schizophrenia & Axis II: Borderline Personality Disorder. They were very, very needy. Not, something that's ideal when you have a caseload of 15-20 people.
    Anonymous