does anyone else do this?

I trained my dogs somewhat military style, if you will. I may even come across as a hard-ass. My dogs must go to the door and bark to go out, drop what they're doing and come when called, they're not allowed to "give kisses", allowed to lay at my feet but not look at me while i'm eating, not allowed to take food from someone's hands or from anywhere except their dish, etc. My dogs always get compliments and praise over their behavior wherever we go! I'm a firm believer in the spankin', and my dogs were well broke in as puppies and I don't have to even say no anymore... the tone i say their names in is enough. They sit and lay down without words, and i never have to worry about them with other people or strange dogs. They also get protective on command, and will stand guard.

anyone else do this kind of obedience with their dogs?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 3:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I don't think I'm as hard core as you, but yes that is the way I "train" my dogs. I swat my dog on the butt when he is naughty. My dogs are not allowed to be in the kitchen when I am making or eating a meal, and they also are not allowed to stare at us when eating (it annoys me when any dog does that). My dogs are allowed to eat food/treats out of peoples hands, but cannot take it w/out the okay first.
    I wish my dogs would get pretective on command, that would be nice.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I tottaly believe in that kind of training, in fact my dobe (my first dog) was trained that way, well i don't think there is a soft way to train a doberman :) And she was the best dog ever( she has pased away from cancer:(
    But now I have a mini pin that is somewhat trained and will do as i say, and a chihuahua that's spoiled rotten and i dont even know how to deal with her... ofcourse i woun't hit her cuz i might just break her:)
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have never spanked,hit,swated or whatever else it is called.I allow her to give hugs and kisses.She doesn't need a leash outside because she never leaves the yard unless we tell her too.When its time for us to eat she goes into one of the bedrooms,until we tell her to come out.Also when she needs to go out she stands at the door and barks.She looks after the four cats we have,as like they were her own puppies.She is a very good listener. Because I am a former Marine,this may seem weird. I don't believe you should treat animals with the hard-ass apporch.You should treat them like they are your kids,give them the nesessary discpiline they need to function in this world.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• can you teach me? lol..my dog knows her basic commands but has no people skills so she goes all agressive on anything that comes in sight..i wanna teach her that she only does that on command.. that's about the only problem i have with her...that and how excited she gets when we come in the house and she jumps on us
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I wish- lol. my dog is generally good, the only thing I wish he wouldn't do is the staring at me while I eat- I swat him, he walks away then comes right back. it doesn't help that the kids always feed him...sigh.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009