Being Studious

My step son doesn't like to study for tests and my husband doesn't like to make him unless I make a stink about it. My husband believes that my step son will become a good student if you just let hm do his own thing on his time. buthis teachers have already said otherwise.

How do I get my step son to like studying so he can do better on his tests?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 3:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• As a child I never studied and always had good grades...with my kids....my son has to study all subjects except math and my daughter doesnt study at all...they have good grades...it depends on the kid and the environment that sorrounds them
    feelingthekicks

Answer by feelingthekicks at 6:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I wish I could answer your question but my step-son was the same way and hubby was the same way. It was a constant battle. He still feels that way about our son.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• feelingthekicks,

I understand about the example you are trying to give. But I'm trying to ask for tips about my step son, not my biological children. I think it is more than just nature. The environment that my step son is surrounded by is that he doesn't have to try that hard. My husband lets him look at something for five minutes reviews it with him and calls that studying. I would like my step son to study over a longer period of time so that he can better retain the information. Ya know, twenty minutes today, twenty minutes tomorrow, etc.
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• robinsi2000,

How did the battles effect your marriage and your relationship with your husband? How did they effect your relationship and feelings toward your step son?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 11:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Can I ask how are his grades? Are they bad or good. Children do have different learning styles. So the grade issue may help you get better answers.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 12:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Wiggles GA,

My step son's grades waver. Some weeks his greades are As, most weeks it varies from Ds to Fs. He has done better this week. He received an A on a pop quiz. My husband told my step son he needs to study more, perhaps he is doing just that. But how long will it last?

How do I determine his learning style?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 1:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009