Potty Training- This mama needs some advice!!!

My daughter is almost 18 months old. I started getting her familiar with the potty when she was 13 months. she did really good. Although she only went when i would sit her up on the toilet, she never really told me she had to go. Well she got pnemonia a few months back and when she got really sick she quit going after that. So we took a break and here the past couple weeks i have noticed she has been waking up from nap, dry. She also has been going for long periods with a dry diaper so i thought...lets try this again. She has started back going into the potty now! But this is the difference!! She now will randomly go to the bathroom, lift up the toilet lid, put her potty seat on and when i hear her in there, i go in there, put her up on the potty and she goes. The other day when i was trying to go to the bathroom, she was crying at me, "pee pee, pee pee!!" So i got up, put her on and sure enough she went! Well just tonight she went into the bathroom, put her seat on the toilet and started yelling so i went in there and put her up on the seat and she went!! So i definitely can say she is ready for the training. So i want to make sure i do this right!!! I think the reason she gets so excited to go is cuz she LOVES stickers. So when she goes potty i give her a sticker on her cheek then i give her one to put on her "I Went Potty!!" chart! She LOVES it! she gets so excited and loves that i get so excited for her and she loves the stickers!!
Well here is my real question.... would i be confusing her, if i bought one of those little potties and put it in the living room (where she mostly is during the day) where she can see it, in hopes of going potty in the potty comes to mind more when she see's the potty out in the open?? Now that she has been putting the seat on the toilet, thatss her way of telling us she needs/wants to go....so i thought maybe if i had a potty in the living room she would see it often and start to think to go cuz she NEEDS to go..not just cuz she walked passed the bathroom and thought of it.
What are your thoughts??
Advice on potty training??
Thanks!

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 9:58 PM on May. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• personally I'd keep it pretty chill for now considering she's only 17 mos old. that is SO young to manipulate a chair, clothes off/on, etc

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:00 PM on May. 6, 2012

• She is a bit on the young side. Don't force it. Let her interest guide things for now.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:01 PM on May. 6, 2012

• oops it cut me off. keep doing what you're doing a make a HUGE DEAL out of it when she uses the potty and no worries when she doesn't

when the time arrives to be potty training hardcore my advice is:

1) COMMIT. throw out diapers, pullups, etc and make her watch them go bye bye. Invest in lots of underwear and make a huge deal of her choosing the styles, colors, etc she loves. There will be messes but better than switching back and forth a million times

2) Never fear public toilets. She has 80+ years ahead of her of using them. Don't fear or avoid them. Embrace them and get her comfortable

3) Good wiping habits because nothing traumatizes a little girl back into diapers faster than a painful UTI
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:03 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I am of no help. My daughter was tying her shoes and reading chapter books long before she was out of diapers

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I say keep things as they are now. Just let her continue to guide this. I say you are doing a great job. I am just about to take the pull-ups away at nap time and mine is almost 4. I say good luck!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:40 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I'd just let her go at her own pace. My daughter started peeing in the potty when she was 18 months old. She'll be three in a few weeks and has just stopped peeing in her pants this week.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 12:12 AM on May. 7, 2012

• Thanks ladies! But when is the time to start really going hard on the potty training?
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 1:24 AM on May. 7, 2012

• You will know when the time is right.
    Why was my first response voted down? My daughter was in diapers past her fourth birthday...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 AM on May. 7, 2012

• Since she is use to using the big girl potty keep it at that..
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 8:35 AM on May. 7, 2012

• ? I didn't vote anyone up or down lol must have been someone else
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on May. 7, 2012