Therapy Appts

DD has seen a speech therapist every other Wednesday at 4pm at an office of a local hospital since December.

I was told at her last appointment that there is always a chance that we cannot keep the ongoing every other Wednesday at 4pm appointment because there may be someone who have had something like a stroke that may need that day and time. I just said okay and pointed out that we can do earlier or whatever come when school is out later this month.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm questioning this. Yes, it may be a difference between a hard-to-understand 6yo and a stroke victim who lost all ability to speak, but is it really considered "okay" for them to knock my daughter out of her standing appointments for a new patient like that?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:35 PM on May. 6, 2012 in Kids' Health

• No this is not acceptable. I have a standing appointment one day a week for a specialist for my son. It is unthinkable to me as a parent that the business he receieves services from would ever even suggest something like that. First, your daughter is a customer. Not great business. Second, it is unethical practice. There is such a thing called consistancy and continuity of care. If they can't have a way of agreeing to a set time on their end it is not a reputable practice. And would tgey drop her or charge you a no show fee if you didn't come? My guess is yes. You may want to consider telling them your time is valuable and if there is no standing appointment then they can not have your business.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:00 PM on May. 9, 2012

• Oh, and stroke patients can have speech at home through home health, through other places of business, and the rehab in a hospital. They are customers. Just like her daughter. It does not make them more important or less. It means if your appointments are booked up you do not take on new business. You have a waiting list. If it is full you go some place else.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:04 PM on May. 9, 2012

• In addition to what dullscissors stated. Your DD has ongoing issues. Stroke victims need as much as soon as possible in order to RECOVER and prevent permanent damage.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 AM on May. 7, 2012

• ... we NEVER bumped anyone out of their scheduled appointments!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:41 PM on May. 6, 2012

• When I worked in a PT/OT/SP clinic we would schedule peoples appointments for a few weeks, even months in advance. As long as you keep ahead a few weeks by scheduling her appt's (make sure they put it in the book or on the computer) they shouldn't try to put someone in that slot... b/c it's taken. I'd question that next time you are in!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:40 PM on May. 6, 2012

• The other patient may have different variables that are being taken into the equation.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 10:39 PM on May. 6, 2012

• probably, yes. with stroke patients, more often than not, they are having swallowing issues, as well as speech.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 PM on May. 6, 2012