older chilren's formula

I am going to ask the doc when I go but how do you all feel about the next step formulas? We are doing whole milk for my almost 1 yr old like the dr told me to do, but I wonder if he needs next step. He eats well but I just want to give him the best.

KARRIEMARIE

Asked by KARRIEMARIE at 4:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was told by the doctor and the pediatric nutritionist that they are a waste of money. After 1 year of age, their growth slows so that the large iron requirement is no longer needed. After that they just need the calcium, vitamin D, fat, and calories found in whole milk.

Pediasure is good for when kids get sick and need that extra nutrition. Formula goes bad 30 days after opening it.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• How do I feel about them? They're a marketing ploy by the formula manufacturers to get your money longer. They are unnecessary and if the doctor told you he cold be on milk, then there isn't a medical need for formula any longer.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i thought milk was the last stage. i mean my son was on whole milk from age 1-2 yrs. then at 2 yrs he was put on 2%, 1%, or skim milk.
    Anonymous

• When I asked my doctor he said to not even bother with them. At age one, whole milk is best for your child.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Generally, I agree... marketing ploy. "If you make it, they will buy it."

HOWEVER, I have found it handy to keep one can in my fridge. When my daughter is sick and doesn't want to eat food, but will drink milk, I can sneak in some formula and know she's getting some extra nutrition when she thinks she's getting milk. I keep it in the fridge since it can take months to use up just one can and it would go bad sitting open on a shelf.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Good idea, kaycee...however, is it not good for only 30 days once opened like baby formula? That would be my one concern.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• That's why I keep it in the fridge. Formula needs to be used up within 30 days of opening - when stored at room temp. It goes rancid otherwise.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009