Is it bad to use DD's piggy bank money to buy her new clothes?

We're living pay check to paycheck right now. My daughter is 10 & she just won't stop growing. Every few months, i have to buy her new clothes. Well...we're beginning to run low on clothes that fir her again, and we just don't have the money to spare. I always try thrift stores, but this age is hard. Now she is more concerned with what she wears, and thrift stores have mostly girly things for younger girls. They don't usually have decent preteen clothes.

Anyhow, she has $80-$100 in her piggy bank...and it just occurred to me this morning that it could be a possibility. Then i felt terribly guilty for even thinking it. Thought i would get some other opinions....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on May. 7, 2012 in General Parenting

• You give her the option. Thrift store clothes she is not in love with or she can use her money to buy her own...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:12 AM on May. 7, 2012

• I agree with But_Mommie and wendythewriter
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:59 PM on May. 7, 2012

• to make a loan to DD?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:11 PM on May. 7, 2012

• i know how you feel, my 10yo is 5'1" and it's so hard to find her clothes thats fit.
    but i would let her choose, either help pay for the clothes she wants or save her money and wear what you can afford. right now my girl, chose to let me pay for her clothes cuz she wanted to buy pokemon cards. (sorry mine is a straight tomboy. goes hunting and fishing with daddy. she'd rather live in sweatpants than jeans.)
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:59 AM on May. 7, 2012

• I agree, tell her either used clothes or she can use SOME of ehr money to but new outfits
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:47 AM on May. 7, 2012

• I would try to find another way. Have you checked Craigslist or freecycle.org? I just gave away some of my dd's size 10 clothes on freecycle - nice stuff, some things she had barely worn from nicer stores.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on May. 7, 2012

• i wouldn't let her or make her spend the entire 80-100 on anything. how long did it take her to save that much?
    perhaps you need to buy some things one-larger (like tshirts or elastic-waist shorts/skirts.).how is she/you taking care of the clothing you buy? a lot of cheaper clothing shrinks too much if you wash in the wrong temperature or dry in a hot dryer...there are ways to avoid this happening.
    10yo is old enough to start learning about money..but its too young to be responsible for financing her wardrobe, or anything.
    jmho
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:20 AM on May. 7, 2012

• Sounds fine to me. it's not like you're asking her to give up her money for something for you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:20 AM on May. 7, 2012

• I don't think it's up to a child of 10 to buy their own clothing. -adnilm

No, it's not. But it's also not up to a parent to outfit their kid in the latest, greatest, most expensive clothing out there. My mother would buy me $30 jeans when I was a kid, because it was the ONLY expensive item I wanted. But she flat out told me if I asked for anything else designer, I was on my own.

My sons are 11 & 8 and know that I will not buy them super expensive clothing. They already know that if they want something super expensive, whether it's shoes or a shirt, they'll need to figure out a way to get the money and buy it themselves. I see nothing wrong with teaching a child the value of money and how far a dollar can go - or not go, depending on what you choose to buy with it. I think giving her the choice to either go with what you can afford or spend her own money on more expensive items is the best idea.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:08 AM on May. 7, 2012

• I don't think it's up to a child of 10 to buy their own clothing.

If they have money and they are choosing to be picky about what they wear, then they need to take care of it themselves. Mom needs to remind her DD that the family has money for gently used clothing and she can pick a few things there - mom will buy - or she is welcome to spend her own money on the more expensive clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 7, 2012