What do I do for my seven yr. old that cries all the time? He cries when he gets hurt (understandable) but then he cries out of the blue for example the other day he cried for like 5 min. about a preschool teacher he couldn't even remember her name. Sometimes I don't know what to say to him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 1/2 year old was a big time crier. He cried about everything, and I read him a book that I found at the library and he has improved alot in the last month. Since day one he has been a crier, and I have had to leave the stores because of his crying. I have also made deals with him, and what I tell him is that if he could go all week without crying I would let him pick something out from the store for $3.00. He likes earning his $3.00 and so he is starting to monitor his crying and whinning, because he wants to be able to buy something with his $3.00. I hope this helps out.
    mlarsen

Answer by mlarsen at 11:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Just don't make a big deal.
    Say, come here hunnee. Let him be held or hugged, stroke his hair and say "it's fine now. She didn;t mean to be short with you. she had a LOT of kids to teach and THEN she had to leave school and go to her family. She was BUSY!"

talk to him about what teachers have to do, and that they love children which is why they chose that profession. Hopefully, he'll have stopped crying by then.

If not, say, well it's ok to cry. Hold him.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I know how you feel my 5 year old cries allll the time. But then I realize its because he wants my attention. So when I started listening more his cring cut down more. If you are a busy mom like me time is short , try talking to him when you are doing chores and let him help. I just think like my son he wants to know if you are really there for him. Good Luck!!!
    ja_luv3

Answer by ja_luv3 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2008