Do you think Democratic Political Leaders want to create a Society dependent on Government Aid?

For example, in regards to the Stimulus Package:

"The Democratic tax cut plan would direct benefits more toward lower-income workers, even non-income tax payers, while the House Republicans would help all taxpayers."
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N27443042.htm

If people become dependent on the idea of a Government Providing for them, won't they continue to want the government to provide for them and possibly lead to a greater population of society dependent on Government Help? What would the incentive to do for one's self be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When a person relies on the government for anything they are likely to get screwed. A statement made by Bill O' Reilly that I agree with, if you want to depend on the government for your sustainability you go right ahead. I will do what I can to make this country as far away from something that resembles socialism, and do what I can to never be dependent on government aide. All you have to do is make the choice. Some benefit more with tax dollars than others, I'll do my best to make sure as few as possible benefit from mine.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes, I do. Its like a kid.....if you continually hand feed them, they come to expect it and believe they deserve it.....then it gets to the point where they CANT do it anymore.
    Anonymous

• You mean dependant like medicare, medicaid, social security, welfare, section 8 housing, food stamps, WIC, disability, free school lunch and unemployment?

Nahhhh, that'll NEVER happen!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• LOL NotPanicking.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Too late. We are already there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

just because you are on these programs doesn't mean that you dont work. a lot of jobs do not pay enough to make ends meet. i know here in Utah a lot of jobs pay like 750.00 a month now how is someone suppose to pay there rent or anything else when there total income is a joke.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• mrssundin

That's not the point - the programs exist, people rely on them, and most importantly, people EXPECT them to be there if they need them. That would pretty much define being dependant on government aid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• NotPanicking :Nahhhh, that'll NEVER happen!

ROFL! You sounded like Glenn Beck to me. That was funny.

Answer to the op~YES!  You know, this is what scares me.  The government gets bigger, people need it more. People begin to feel like they are entitled to things like Home Ownership, for example. Then Law makers create legislature like the Community Reinvestment Act that gives loans to people who CANNOT afford them. No one is entitled to owning their own home. The government should have never gotten involved.  You Earn a home with Hard work and Saving. THAT is the American Way! Government involvement is NOT.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• That's not the point - the programs exist, people rely on them, and most importantly, people EXPECT them to be there if they need them. That would pretty much define being dependant on government aid.

i have had to use those programs but when i dont need it i am not on it. but yes a lot of people do depend on those things because there parents never taught them the value of hard work and the value of a dollar.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009