Ive decided to go to school for nursing, but wanted to go for and RN, but someone told me that I had to be an LPN first and then go back for RN. Is that true?

Oldham80

Asked by Oldham80 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• No, You go to school for 4 yrs to be an RN It pays more and You do about the same work besides the butt wiping.. that was my mothers complant about being an lpn.
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• YES IT IS TRUE! You also don't have to go for four years. I got my ADN (associates degree in nursing), thats a two year program. You can do LPN in under two years then get into adn then advance to bsn which is the four year program. The difference in the two year and four year program is about 25 cents on the hour and the four year has more of a management background and the two year has more of the "skills" background. If you have questions about it feel free to email me.
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• No...I answered that wrong you DO NOT have to do LPN first then RN....You can do RN in two years however and thats what I was talking about, sorry misread
    ajjc775

• No you do not. You can get your Associates degree RN in 2 years or you can go for your Bachelors Degree RN in 4 years. LPN is a certificate program which usually takes about a year.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 6:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• No you don't have to be an LPN first. My mom got her ADN too and has worked as an RN for years. She wishes she had a BSN though because now that she's older she'd like to have more of a management position. If you start with an ADN/RN you can get an awesome job (making way more than me with a Masters!) then there's a good possibility your employing hospital will help pay for you to go back and finish a BSN. make $$$ and get help paying for a full bachelor's. I'd skip the LPN part. Good Luck!
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2008