Who pays? Me I guess! VENT!

I wrote a check 9 days ago and due to someone stealing my debit card number, I had to close my checking account the next day. (LONG story, it had happened before, bank suggested I close this acct and open new one) The bank was supposed to catch that check and pay it, NOT return it with a big red ACCOUNT CLOSED stamp on it. But, they didn't, they returned it to the store marked acct closed. Now the store called me and is of course mad and charging me $39 return check fee. I called the bank and they said they're sorry but they only try to catch checks like that and it's really not up to them. The store doesn't care it was a mistake and is charging me the fee, even with a letter from the bank showing it was a bank error and that I had the funds available.... I'm out $39 plus a whole lot of aggravation!

customcat2000

Asked by customcat2000 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Talk to a bank manager to get your bounced check fee back since it was their mistake. I had something similar happen and when the branch manager wouldn't help me, I got her supervisor's number. She tried to give me crap that she was the manager of that bank and I threw back at her that she didn't own the bank and has to answer to someone, so that was who I wanted to talk to!! Don't give up, just keep moving up the chain of command until you get your money back!!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Talk to your bank manager,maybe they an help you
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009