How much of an age difference is acceptable?

I recently started dating this guy. Things are starting to get serious between us and so he admitted to me that he lied about his age because he didn't think I would give him the time of day. Now I'm so torn b/c I really do enjoy his company, I'm pissed about the lie and he's 15 years older than me? How much of an age difference is acceptable? Should it matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Doesn't matter with my dh and myself, but he never lied to me about it. I would have serious issues with that. My dh is just days shy of 16 years older than me and we've never had any problems because of it within or outside of our relationship.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• most people dont think it matters, i think it depends on how old you are. my mom is 38 and dating a 20 year old. i think its gross (you shouldnt date someone the same age as one of your kids lol)
    Anonymous

• The age thing wouldn't bother me...you love who you love. BUT he lied right off the bat, that's a red flag to me! What else has he lied about???
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It shoudnt matter but I would be bothered because he lied to me.

Answer by gemgem at 4:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• it shouldnt matter, and there is something wrong with his lying. at a young age, like late 20s and 18, i think its strange, my as you get older and more mature it shouldnt matter. there is a 10 yr age difference between me and my SO.
    Anonymous

• I agree it's not the age difference thats the problem but the lie. What else did he lie about that he thought you might not agree with?
    Anonymous

• The lying is bad. Age difference, after you become an adult (18) really doesn't matter unless it's like 50 years and that's just not normal lol..

15 isn't much at all if you enjoy his company tell him how the lie made you feel and still see him.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My mom and step dad are 13 yrs apart. If he makes you happy i dont see why it matter. FOr younger people the age difference is always weird and usually unacceptable but if your in your late 20's early 30's I dont see the problem.
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think I'd be more worried about the lying. But, as to age difference, I think it really depends on the people and the age. Like, I'm 30, and I wouldn't date an 18 yr old, but I would date a 42 yr old. Same number of yrs, but the 18 yr old is going to be very...for lack of a better word, naive....about what my life is like, whereas a 42 yr old would have more similar experiences to my life.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• what else has he (or will he) lie about? Fifteen years can make a difference. Depending on how serious it gets you might find that while you are still young he can't keep things hard enough to maintain a good sex life with you. That is important to many women. I'm shocked at how many men have that problem. Now if you are just looking for someone older to take care of you then that's another thing. It might work but then ppl will just call you a golddigger and try to make you feel bad.
    Anonymous