how can I ask my ob?

Well I am 38 weeks pregnant and I want to have my membranes stripped. Am I able to ask my doctor to do this or do they only do this if they decide? Im kind of shy and not quite sure how to ask. any advice how did you ask?

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am not too sure i think its something they do if they feel it has too be done trust me baby will not come and quicker either way
    Anonymous

• A good doctor won't do it just because you request it. I know it's hard, but be patient.
    Anonymous

• you have to be so many cm dialated and most the time they wont do it unless they think baby is going to be big and they want you to go into labor or you are over due.
    All you can do is ask them if he does it or not they dont all do it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It hurts really bad and doesn't necessarily do anything. 2 weeks isn't long! Hang in ther.
    Anonymous

• If you cannot handle the duration of pregnancy, what makes you think you can handle the duration of motherhood?

Don't risk your baby's health and well-being for your own selfish comfort and/or convenience.
    Anonymous

• You can ask once you hit your due date without any reprisals. Not that it will be granted but I wouldn't ask before then. You are only 38 weeks...Just hang in there. Just a little longer. And don't worry about all the meanie faces on here...We all know that when they were getting to the end of a pregnancy they wanted to hurry up and get done. Lol. It's ok though. These are your doctors. You should be able to ask for what you want. You don't have to wait for them to decide to ask you.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Just ask him/her how they feel about it, my doctor brought it up to me my first pregnancy, I let him do it and we have discussed it this time around, he knows I want it done and will start at 37-38 weeks, if I am dialated.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Puhleeze ANON 2:45 Tell me you wanted stay pregnant longer at 38 weeks....get over yourself!
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Honestly... pregnancy lasts an AVERAGE of 40 weeks... you know that going in. Any good doctor won't do anything to induce before your EDD.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i had it done on my due date even though i didnt want it but he said it was best i was young and didnt know better i dont think they do it unless your like 3 cm at least
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009