How do you elimate the pacy if cutting a whole in it doesn't work?

My dd is almost 3 and has tantrums everyday becasue she always want it. She only get it at nap and bedtime and crys when she can't have it during the day. I have tried making a hole in it and she doesn't care.

Asked by mommygirls2 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess all i did was just no give it to her anymore at all and she finally delt with not getting it. It just took a while to get her used to not having it. But now she is just fine.

Answer by sheismylife607 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• At 3 she is way too old to have a binky. It will ruin her teeth and speech development.I got rid of my kids binkys when they turned a year old, I cut the hole in it and they didn't want it anymore. You have to get tough, Mom. Throw it in the trash and tell her it's gone and big girls don't have binkys. It will be rough for a few days but she'll find something to replace it.

• You just have to take it away and find other ways that can comfort her.

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This will take awhile but hang in there. At nap time and bedtime, replace it with something ok, like a soft book or a stuffed animal. When she starts a tantrum, return her to bed, give her the object and say good night. After the first time, just eliminate the "good night". If she doesn't leave the bed, go she her after 5 minutes, tell her she will be ok, to hang onto the object and good night. Let it go longer the next time and so on. Eventually, she will realize that's the end of the binky and you aren't going to give in. Also, after the first return, just give her the object. If she has it, I would touch her gently and say nothing. Leave the room. She knows you care.

Answer by manna1qd at 6:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You can try something fun to get rid of them and make her realize that they are really gone....One idea is to buy balloons and tie them to the balloons and let her let them go....tell her they are going to other babies who really need them. can collect all her binkys, have her help you put them in a gift bag...and wrap it up like a gift. You need to have her put it outside in a tree and leave it for the binky fairy....and tell her that at night the binky fairy comes to get the binkys to collect them for other babies, and that the binky fairy will leave her a new big girl gift because she was so nice to give her binkies to other babies. And you can buy her a baby doll or a new book something for "big" girls so when she wakes up in the morning she can go out and find what she got for leaving her binkys to the fairy. Then there are no fights or giving in...when they are gone, they are gone. Good Luck

Answer by dbabyangel976 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I JUST took my sons binky from him on Mon and he will be 3 in Sept.I have been wanting to take it away for months though,but was WAY scared that he was going to flip out.He was VERY attached to it.He had it ALL day,not just at sleeping time and would cry for anytime he didnt have it. He took it everywhere with him, it was almost like a love affair!
    I told him on Sun night "tomorrow your binkies are going to go bye-bye"(he didnt like that at all)and in the morn when he got up,I took it, gathered up all the others and threw them away.I am COMPLETETLY AMAZED at how well he has done. Today is the 4th full day w/o it and he has only asked for it 5 times since day one. When he asks I tell him his binky went to go find "little" babies. He seems irritated, but overall ok with that.I was scared of how he was going to react to it being gone, but he has done GREAT. You can do it momma, just throw them out, she will be fine.

Answer by jenmay44me at 7:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• She might be tired. I'd say, "you can have paci if you go read in your bed or take a nap. When you get up, I'll take paci and put it up."

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son was 16 mos. when I took him off the passy...before I took it away, I gave him his blankie when he would lay down for a nap or to bed (that was the only time he got it anyways). Once he got attached to it, I took the passy away; the first night he cried for 10 min, then the next for 5, then by the 3rd day he was over it...if YOU can survive the first night without it, then it's downhill from there!!! She can understand at 3 when you say the passy is bye bye and doing the balloon thing. I've also heard of parents leaving them for Santa Claus to take to a baby in exchange for presents works too, but I doubt you'd wanna wait that long! You could do a Christmas in July....j/k! Anyways, Good luck!

Answer by calebnme07 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I tried to the hole thing in pacifers too with my daughter... she didnt care either. i agree with a lot of other moms your gonna have to just take it away all together. i heard other mos say by the third day there child didnt ask for it anymore.... that was not the case with my daughter she cried at bed time for almost 2 weeks. it was hard but it needed to be done.

Answer by JaY_dOm07 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i tried the whole idea and she seemed like she was going to die, so i had to give her another one, this weekend i'm taking it off once and for all =-D ..... i hope

Answer by sodapple at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008