Should a 6 year old know what alcohol is?????

My very mature 6 year old daughter knows what beer and wine is. My hubby drinks occasionally on the lake or out to eat, never gets drunk just has a few. And I will drink wine occassionally, just one glass. He takes her to school every morning and they have pretty grown up talks. He believes in being totally honest with her and she is very mature. He has already had the talk with her about drinking and that she better call him if she is drunk and cant drive home. I got mad at first but his way of thinking is if you instill it in her now, she might actually believe it. And he may be right, my mom told me that when I was 16 and did I trust her that I wouldnt get in trouble anyway, NO! I never called her. Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on May. 7, 2012 in General Parenting

• eh....my dd knows about it (she's 5). my dad drinks alot but he's not drunk all the time and stuff but he has taken my daughter to the liquor store with him. the only time it bothered me is when she drew a picture of the liquor store at school, good thing she can't spell that great lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Sure, why not? Alcohol is part of your lifestyle and as such, why shelter her from it? I'm not saying that you two are a couple of lushes, but that you enjoy moderate, responsible consumption. By acknowledging it, you are removing the shine from the forbidden fruit.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2012

• My son is 7 and knows that they are grown up drinks. That is all he knows right now. I am not sure I am ready to talk to him about those things but I see nothing wrong with someone else teaching their child at a younger age... I will talk more about this with him when he is closer to 10 I think. BUT I have taught my kids about things others feel they are too young to know-like about where babies come from and about *all* different kinds of families.. This is a decision only the parents can really make... You know what your child is ready to understand and what information you ant them to have.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:39 PM on May. 7, 2012

• IMO, trust comes in many forms and for many reasons, not just underage, irresponsible drinking. i'm with your dh..be honest, keep the lines of communication early and constant, for any future need...not just this one issue.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:39 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I agree with dullscissors and your husband on this. With kids, honesty is the best policy and when it comes to issues like this - the earlier you can establish open lines of communications, your expectations, etc the better. Not only did we talk with our kids about drugs/alcohol at a young age, so did their health classes. Statistics show that more than 1/3 of teens consumed their first alcoholic beverage in middle school. Waiting to talk to kids until they are "older" is too late. Kids need to know BEFORE they get to middle school.

My oldest will be 10 in a month. He will start middle school in 6th grade - a year from September. My DD is 7. They can both already tell you that the law requires you to be 21 to drink alcohol. They understand that alcohol can impair your response time, your ability to make decisions and to think clearly and your physical coordination. We have discussed alcohol abuse (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:53 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I will say if he ever asked I would answer... If he doesn't I will address it around 10.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:00 PM on May. 7, 2012

• We have all discussed what it means to drink responsibly. We have discussed that alcohol itself is not bad - misuse of it is. We have talked about designated drivers. We have talked about illegal drugs and we've talked about peer pressure - about having the confidence and self worth to do your own thing.

While you may evolve your message over time to fit your child's ability to digest and comprehend the message, it is never too early to give it, nor too often to repeat it. Studies also show that children of parents who talk openly with them about such topics are less likely to experiment with drugs or make dumb choices with alcohol.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:04 PM on May. 7, 2012

• My son knows and he is 3.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 2:17 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I think your husband is handling it just fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:13 PM on May. 7, 2012

• My kids knew about drinking and drugs yong I have no idea maybe 5-6?
    DGS learned at about 5ish and learned about prescription drug abuse as well. (we had an issue with that though with his mother)
    I believe in explaining anything they want to know about and anything that happens o come up whether on the radio or TV or a conversation. And if it doesn't come up I usually figure a way to bring up a lot of possible future issues.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:44 PM on May. 7, 2012