Does anyone know what Canola Oil is made from?

My daughter and I were in the grocery store today buying cooking oil. We read that vegetable oil is soy bean oil, but could not find out a "canola" is. Which is better, vegetable oil or canola? I usually do olive oil for small amount cooking.

livinghealthy

Asked by livinghealthy at 4:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I believe it is rape seed. The name is unpleasant so they changed the name of the oil to canola.

Answer by Bmat at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It is made from a specially engineered rapeseed strain developed in Canada by a professor named Baldur Steffanson. He dubbed it Canola from "canada oil". In europe it is still called rapeseed oil or rape oil.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Canola oil by far is much better for you. There are also ways that you sould cook with these oils such as Olive oil. Olive oil should only be cooked on low to med. heat if you want it to keep the good nutritions in. Google up these oils, I'm sure you can find something on it for you. I have a fitness magazine article on these oils & I was REALLY surprised the benefits. It's definitely worth your while to look up the info.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 7:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• They are all correct answers!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2009