Eating Animals (*WARNING*)

Okay, this isn't meant to start a riot and I don't want anyone posting PETA stuff or other mean stuff in here. This is a legit question. Let me start off with my husband is a hunter. I grew up on a farm understanding that animals were made for us to eat. It's part of life. So, here goes, my question...Why don't we eat all the stray and unwanted cats and dogs being uthenized daily? Doesn't it make sense that if they are healthy and disease free it would be a good idea? Is it illegal to eat cats and dogs? You hear about Chinese restaurants getting shut down for having cats in the freezer, but are there really laws about what meat you are allowed to eat? Can the government regulate that? What are your thought and do you know about these laws? I don't think I could ever eat my family dog, but a dog I didn't know who I KNEW was going to be killed anyway, I could do it. What do you think?

navy-wife

Asked by navy-wife at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Hmm I don't really know. I know that because I love dogs and cats I would never be able to eat them. Maybe there meat isn't that good?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think that you would have survived the depression. We don't like to think of these things, but in reality animals are animals and in pioneer times they would even eat thier horses if times got bad.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• LOL! I am sorry... I have to laugh at your question. It's a very legit question actually. You are totally correct in your thinking here. We eat cows, pigs, sheep, why not cats and dogs? I hope someone can give us a valid answer....
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I really don't know the answer to this either. I can't imagine you'd get much meat off a cat to begin with though...

...and I'm not a supporter of PeTA ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• ReneeK3, you don't get much meat off a rabbit or squirrel, but we still eat them Frog Legs? All might tastey. *shrugs*
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My brother was in South Korea for 3 years and LOVED cat & dog meat. We grew up on a family farm as well, and I never understood why people get so upset when talking about food. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I don't know...I guess maybe just b/c we think of them as family pets and therefore kind of categorize them differently than a cow or a pig that we know is intended for nourishment. *shrug* I don't think I'd want to eat a cat or dog, but really, mainly b/c of that thinking - that it should be a family pet kind of thing. I guess if I were desperate or hungry enough, I would, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I love this question, lol. My brother was stationed in Korea (Army) and they had restraunts that adverticed dog on the menu. He said it was just something they ate. I couldn't eat my own family pet, but I am willling to try anything else at least once. My brother said dog didn't taste as bad as he thought it would.
    I can see it now: " Yes, I think I'll try the 'Poodle-Noodle soup please!"
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 5:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think it all depends upon where you are from. I know other countries will eat cat and dog meat and regard the cow and pig as sacred. I imagine the government has some type of regulation in place for what type of meat is considered acceptable. Hubby always jokes when we eat Chinese that he's eating the cat on a stick!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Poodle-Noodle soup!!
    I LOVE that! next time we go out I'm ordering Poodle-Noodle soup!!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009