Do you let your children watch the news?

During dinner time the TV is on in the background in our house. My 4 y o (soon 5) listens, sometimes watches it, too and has never been bothered by it. She often asks what this or that is about and we explain it to her. And, yes, as we all know, most news are bad. Violent. She knows there's war, she knows there are bad men (pedophiles), she knows people kill other people or do mean things to each other (not in detail, of course). I think it;s important to let them know. We talk about it and she understands. But then again, every child is different. My sisters kids were never like this. the 7 y o totally freaks out when she hears or sees something. The 13 y o had nightmares for a week after reading about a kidnapping in the newspaper.
So can your kids take it? How much do you expose them to? Just curious

Pucki

Asked by Pucki at 4:07 PM on May. 7, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Their grandpa watches the news but my kids don't really pay that much attention, if something catches their eye they will ask and one of us will explain it to them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:48 PM on May. 8, 2012

• They do not watch the news. They may on occasion overhear hubs and I talking about the latest crime and once in a while they'll ask about it.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:12 PM on May. 7, 2012

• It's on in the background quite a bit, but he's not usually riveted to it. When he notices something he'll ask questions, but he's never been scared or worried about anything, with the exception of weather. When the tornado map or severe storm map pops up with the banner at the bottom of the screen, he goes straight to his computer and starts tracking the storms on the network websites and weather channel site. He's 9, though, so that's probably equal parts worry and science-geekiness interest.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:32 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Yes. And I let them read what they like as well. I will, however, not allow them to watch any horror movies or graphic sexual scenes.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 4:40 PM on May. 7, 2012

• It is so strange that, for being raised by the same people, my sister and I are so different when it comes to approaching these things with our children. I don't shield my children from much...they watch the news, know about sex, talk politics on occasion, etc. My sister is the total opposite and shields my niece from everything. I think it is a personal choice, and children can thrive in either extreme, so no judgement from me.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:53 PM on May. 7, 2012

• No they don't watch the news and I filter what I say to my DH in conversation.IMO their is somethings 7yo don't need to know about yet.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:19 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I show them select news reports or articles relevant to conversations or questions....... and sometimes just random things about unkind ways both families and strangers treat one another

At 5 and 7 I'd never allow full news access, I am trying to slowly ease them into the horrors of grown up life
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:22 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I watch MY news whether or not the kids are in the room with me, and there are some aspects of it they love to watch, "Steve Spangler Science" segments for one! most of the 'bad' important news they don't really pay attention to, which is fine by me :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:28 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I shield my kids. The news is brutal. My husband is a news anchor and I see what it does to him on a daily basis. One more story of a child being torched, raped, fires, shootings, kidnapped and on and on it goes. Nope, in our house we don't even watch to see their Father on TV.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 AM on May. 8, 2012