Why do people go to tax preparing companies instead of doing it themselves?

Isn't it more expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh yes it is... but sometimes taxes are a complicated mess.. like mine. I would prefer to have it done by a professional.. plus you are backed if there is an audit, thats worth the extra money to me.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Way more expensive, but I don't trust myself to do them myself. I can pay for audit protection, so if I do get one it falls on HnR Block.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 4:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I think some people do not understand it, and some people have more complicated forms to fill out and they want to make sure it is done properly.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We write off all kinds of things. We live on a ranch, and have feed, diesel, fertilizer, and allkinds of crap the we write off . And i personally would not how to do them correctly to get the most of my money back. I just rather get all the receipts together and send them to a professional. That way everything that can be used will be and something that isn't suppose to be used wont be. And if i am ever audited i have someone to back me up. It is well worth the money. People that do it themselves, i wondeer do they ever wonder if they missed something? Like i didn't know that the truck we justbought we can right off the taxes paid (i think thats the right thing) at the time of purchase on it.Some people might not know that and thus missed that deduction by doing it themselves. Each for there own.
    Anonymous

• The reason that my husband I got to someone is because we have our own business, we have a totle of three diffrent business. My husband officiates basketball and football, then I have a daycare in my home, and we have a internet business. So we figure that It is much simpler and less confussing to have someone else do it. Before we started all our businesses we did do them ourselfs. It was simple and coast a lot less money. What ever we got back from taxes we were able to keep. Also with someone do them we have gotten more money back from our income taxes. A lot more then when were doing them ourselfs.
    BARBMASTEL1

Answer by BARBMASTEL1 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Some people just don't know how to do it or have the patience to do it. I know my DH is good at that stuff because he runs numbers and equations daily so he does it. If I had to do them though probably would either let my mother who an accountant do it, or hire someone because the go to this line multiply it by 4 etc... just isn't appealing to me.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• We have ours done because of the complication of deductions and such. It's not really all that expensive for us. It's only $60 to get our federal, state, and a total of 3 local returns done (with e-filing the fed and state).
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 6:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• some people have large complicated returns. Some have investments and receive K-1s from those companies that must be recorded on their returns. Some have businesses and don't want that return to be done wrong. Some have multistates to file in. Some have trusts and estates that are done with their returns as well. Some have gift taxes to deal with. Not everyone has just wages and interest and maybe a few minor deductions. And with those more complicated returns comes tax planning and business/personal advising. So it's more than just getting the forms filled out.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• filing taxes is so easy! If you do it online it says right there, look up this amount on __box on your W2. It's not rocket science, you don't need to pay someone to do it for you. I've always done my own taxes and never had a problem.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When I freelanced I did my own for years thinking it was something I had to conquer. That to fail was some sort of moral deficit. No matter how many hours I put into it and how many times I checked it, it would come back with dumb errors. One day a friend approached me. He had just finished acoounting school and was drumming up business. Hiring him was absolutely the best money I ever spent. Not only did it cost me less (my time was worth money then), but he found deductions I never knew were available. Subscriptions, professional organization fees, etc. I realized at that moment some people are right brained and some are left brained. Since then I've never looked back.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 1:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009