sleeping

is it true that you cant sleep on your right side when your pregnant? thats the only way i can actually sleep it hurts to lay on my back and when i lay on my left side i get a pain in my rib

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, you can, its just sleeping on your left side gets the most blood flowing throughout your body.
    Anonymous

• Not true. You can sleep on either side. Your blood flow is just better when you sleep on your left side for some reason. Either side is fine. I thought the same thing got the same pain. My doctor said either side is fne. How ever you are comfortable. He just siad if you sleep on your back make sure you are propped up somehow or in a chair. Never sleep flat on your back or lye flat on your back because air and blood supply can be cut off to the baby.
    Do you have a body pillow? I got one, lifesaver! I put it under my belly and between my legs when I slept. It helped a lot. As you get farther along you are just uncomfortable but little bits help. :)
    mgurl

Answer by mgurl at 5:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• They say to sleep your left as your uterus can cut off blood flow if it rests on the main artery in your trunk which can constrict bloodflow. It is also a proven fact that should you cut off blood supply to you or the baby your body will let you know. Lay however you are comfortable. If you wake dizzy or nauseous or both then you migh want to roll over. Your body will let you know.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i can only get comfy laying on my right side. i know that you cant lay on your back b/c the weight of the uterus cuts off circulation. but i am 30 weeks now and i have slept on my right side the entire time...i never was told not to lay on my right side.
    1-teen-mommy

Answer by 1-teen-mommy at 5:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• if you cant sleep on your right side then im in trouble cause thats they only way i can sleep to they recimend that you sleep on your left side because it gives the baby more blood but my DD is perfectly fine and i slept on my right side or my stomach (that they say is bad for the baby)
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009