Where's Your Shame, Woman?

Unfortunately, as this article points out, the sentiments of this reverend, and "up and coming Republican leader", are fairly common in the politically active and increasingly powerful Religious Right.

There's a video, included in the link, of the reverend on a rant about how evil and stupid women are - too stupid to be trusted with power, and too stupid to speak for ourselves - and how we are the root cause of every single evil we face today.  It will be hard to stomach his speech, but if you are fortified with a glass of strong alcohol and have no heavy objects around to throw at the screen, you may be okay.

- so what's the big deal? Nobody takes this loser seriously, do they?

As a former fundamentalist Christian woman and editor of a "pro-life, pro-family" Christian political newspaper for 16 years, I spent a lot of time in the company of patriarchal right-wing men - and from my experience, Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson is not exceptionally extreme or outlandish in fundamentalist circles. What makes Peterson "edgy" is that he has the audacity to speak aloud what most right-wing men truly believe about women - the Reverend is aberrant only because he is outspoken enough to post his misogynist views on YouTube.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 7:03 PM on May. 7, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I couln't listen to more than 5 mins. worth.
    I am not surprised that his beliefs are common amongst others....he just has the balls to come right out an say it instead of pretending to be something he is not.
    Sickening all the same.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:21 PM on May. 7, 2012

• having grown up in some pretty conservative circles i dont need to watch the video. i already know that this mentality is alive and well in some men (and women). every time someone like this becomes noteworthy i thank God that my parents did their best to keep that mentality out of our home and raised me with the knowledge that i deserve every right any other American has no matter my gender.

i have met more than my share of men who have no qualms about "sharing" beliefs that resemble those this preacher (most likely) spews. ive learned these men usually know nothing of God, but rather use religion to further their own ignorant ass-hole ways.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:15 PM on May. 7, 2012

• I don't now nor have I ever been made to feel inferior to any man by a religious. I've met men in general that have tried to put me in my place. It had nothing to do with religion. They certainly are not common in the religious circles I frequent. He sounds like an insecure male. You don't need religion to be that way, it's just an excuse.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:43 PM on May. 7, 2012

• LOL..... I still remember the day my father told me that little girls were meant to be seen and not heard...

I bet he can't say that now. All the grandchildren are girls and even the great ones now...

I LOVE IT!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:48 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Funny how very similar things were said about blacks less than a century ago in this country.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:39 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Isn't that strange, anng.atlanta?  To hear someone whose family would have suffered from such discrimination and blame for all the evils of this country saying those same things about women?  It's incomprehensible as much as it is reprehensible.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:49 PM on May. 7, 2012

• You don't need religion to be that way, it's just an excuse.

good

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:13 AM on May. 8, 2012

• My shame is hiding behind my devil horns...

On a more serious note...I am republican but would not endorse a fuck like that.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:15 AM on May. 8, 2012

• What a sickening man, it does not surprise me though, shame for women who put up with this crap!

Answer by older at 6:57 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I think that a lot of things about "fundamentalism" are extreme - JMHO. Does anyone know what percentage of American Christians claim to be fundamentalists? I'm sure the percentage is much lower worldwide. I think that is an extreme view. I am all for modesty, but I reject the idea that women are to blame for all the evils of the world. I would say that people are to blame, and the sin nature of humanity after the fall.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:45 AM on May. 8, 2012