They are everywhere. What would you do?

I will admit that in this particular instance I am VERY paranoid.

I watch strangers like a hawk.

So we are moving soon and among the price of the new place, the following get checked by me: Distance from Dh's job, school, violent crimes reported in the area and sex offenders.

Yes I know I must seem crazy.

My children have grown up in an "Everyone knows everyone. and Everyone looks out for Everyone" kind of town.

A few years ago when we had a pretty bad hurricane, people were outside grilling after the fact and passing out plates, it went from one grill to 3 to 10 and half the town. We love this place, but it's time to go.

Kids go to a great school. I know pretty much every face I see in the morning and there are no registered sex offenders or violent crimes in my area.

But like dh says. " Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening. People just haven't been caught yet."

So here I am paranoid, because every home I love just doesn't seem to pass the sex offenders test. They are near the schools, across the street from the homes.

What would you do? Just stop worrying about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on May. 7, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Don't stop worrrying. Check the sex offender registry. All registered offenders will be on that list with their last known wherabouts.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:38 PM on May. 7, 2012

• You have to be vigilent about the sex offender issue and they are everywhere. I would not let it dictate beyond everything else where I live. But why are you moving?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:27 PM on May. 30, 2012

• focus in more possittive benefits and get the best deal...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:43 PM on May. 10, 2012

• Ah, I do understand your reasons. And as I already said... I wouldn't get stressed about it. Teach the kids what they need to know about staying away from strangers. If you've done that, it's 99% of the battle.

Of course, you can also add some martial arts courses! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:29 AM on May. 9, 2012

• Why are you moving?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on May. 8, 2012

• @ gdiamante

We are moving to be closer to family. We have close friends here, but not family. With the lose of my aunt a few months ago and Dh's mom losing her battle with cancer. My mom fighting something she refuses to tell anyone about. Being close our family is really important right now.

PS: It's not pointing out the obvious... I already did that. Go back and read it. I know they are everywhere, which is why I posted this question.

I was simply asking what YOU would do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:33 AM on May. 8, 2012

• Honestly, I don't check anymore, because knowing wouldn't change a thing I do now anyway. I take my son to school. A classmate's dad drives him home from school. He goes nowhere unless we take him or someone we know does... his friends are pretty much in the same situation.

My question to you: If you're as happy as you sound where you are now, then why move?

Answer by gdiamante at 9:22 PM on May. 7, 2012

• What do you do when you find the house, good neighborhood, near work, good schools and NO sex offenders near by the perfect house. You sign the papers and move in, only to have a couple of months later a new neighbor move in and that new neighbor is a sex offender? Then what? You already bought the house....now what do you do?

Really it's good to AWARE, I wouldn't knownly move with one right next door, etc. However I wouldn't get so hang up on it that I wouldn't buy a house just because 5 blocks away there one. Sure that may be to close to comfort for some, but people move all the time and before you know you could have one next door or the one that was 5 blocks away move out. If you are are aware of WHO they are, watch your children, and know where and who they are with then they are going to be okay. After all MOST abuse happens with people YOU KNOW not strangers.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:33 PM on May. 7, 2012

• Too bad you have to move - sounds like you've got a great location where you are at.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:54 PM on May. 7, 2012

• i hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but those are JUST the registered offenders.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:53 PM on May. 7, 2012