Can someone explain to me what is

stripping membranes??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Trying to dislodge your mucus plug. It is SUPPOSED to start labor, but there is no evidense of this.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• they remove the mucus plug sometimes it can start labor and other times it doesnt work. I had it done with my son 39weeks and i was in labor with in 4 hours of leaving my dr office.
    Anonymous

• OP here:  Can it do damage to baby or you if it doesn't work??

Anonymous

• Yes, op, it puts you at risk for infection.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Stripping your membranes doesn't put you at any greater risk for infection than any other cervical exam. You can lose your mucus plug weeks before labor starts. It can be a very painful procedure for some people though. If it doesn't work then you got a little pain for nothing.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Stripping membranes most certainly does NOT leave you open for infection. If the amniotic sack is ruptured THAT leaves you open for infection. That is why once your water breaks they will make sure you are delivered within a 24 hr period.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• http://www.gynob.com/stripmem.htm

I had it done twice. It is quite painful, I swear your doctors WHOLE hand will be up in there. And getting it done did not progress my labor at all.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh, and even though it didn't work, my baby was not damaged =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• http://www.gynob.com/stripmem.htm
    And it doesn't hurt THAT bad. I had it done, no infection and my son was a week early. =) Perfectly healthy too.....
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It can leave you open for an infection.. so can vaginal exams though which is why hands need to remain out of a vagina.

it can be pretty ineffective and is frankly a waste. It's a procedure selfish women like to get done because of impatience.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009