Flu shot? Coincedence.....or is it from the shot???

My DS had a flu shot at 6 months. Exactly 1 week later he ended up sick, vomiting, fever, bad cold, ear infection, cough, the whole 9. Vomited for 8 straight days...Last Tuesday he got a follow up flu shot. I guess they get 2?? 7 days later he has a fever and has vomited twice so far. Has anyone had this expereince with the flu shot? Pedi told me the 1st time they only get mild cold symptoms and that if that did happen it would occur a day or 2 after the flu shot and that him being sick last time was only a coincedence. What do you guys think......? I feel so bad this baby just got better from being sick 2 weeks ago..

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 4:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't surprise me.. while the flu shot itself isn't a live virus giving the shot weakens a body's immune system making them more susceptible to colds. Those people I know who have been given the flu shot get sick afterwards, to varying degrees.

We don't do the flu shot in this family, well hubby gets the spray because he's in the army.. but my daughter and I don't get it and we have never gotten the flu.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well the flu shot has NOTHING to do with the stomach flu, 2 totally different types of virus. Most virus have a 7 to 10 day incubation period, so there is a good chance that your son was comming down with something when he got the shot, and because he is so little and it takes up to 14 days for a virus to leave the system, the same thing happend with the second shot. It's a tough thing to time just right. Both my kids never got the second flu shot one year, because they both ended up with influenza after their first shot. But in the years that followed, we never had a problem. Hope your little one gets better soon, so hard when they are sick :(
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My Dr. told me that although he is supposed to offer the flu shot, that he would not reccoment it for babies, & that is HIS personal opinion. Other Dr.'s may say otherwise. I got the flu shot last year, & it was the sickest winter i have EVER had. I did not get the flu shot this year, & i have no been sick once (knock on wood, knock on wood). 6 monthes is WAAAY to young to be putting that stuff in a baby in my opnion, & i'm glad my Dr. aggreed. And yes, i do believe that it's from the flu shot. There lil immune systems are so fragile & still buiding immunity. Why stick them w/ a bunch of 1/2 dead virus's?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My dd just had her shot yesterday and I was told that the shot doesnt take effect for two weeks after the shots given. So they can still catch anything like the flu or other viruses after they get the shot.

Answer by gemgem at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Zaky's mommy:

People have different reactions to the flu. Some vomit, some get diarrhea, some get both. It depends on the person. And you never know the virus that they are putting in there. They put several virus's in there. How do you know how it's supposed to effect you? Flu = vomit for me. Every time i had the flu i've vomited & had diarreah.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I just found out from my pediatrician last week that giving anybody a flu shot is like ijecting yourself with the flu. Weird I know my hubby was in the army and everytime he got a flu shot he got so sick he thought he was gonna die from it. SO i say dont even get a flu shot and see what happens you never know you dont get the shot you may not get sick.. but you get the shot you might get sick.. its like a 50/50 shot.
    newmommy7608

Answer by newmommy7608 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The flu shot only targets a specific round of flu, and*generally* doesn't protect the body from anything - it also (along with all other immunistaions) weakens the immune system and leaves children even more susceptible to viruses and illnesses - so really, no shock there.

The best way to ensure your child has a strong enough immune system to fight off viruses is to forego the immunisations and build their immune system up naturally, via breastfeeding, exposure to the world, dirt and every day people - and a healthy diet.

But, no - not a coincidence, you're right, the shot will have left him more susceptible to picking up viruses.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The flu shot has nothing to do with the stomach bug. It's for influenza....respiratory.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Yes some people do vomitt when they have influenza, but what I was saying is that the rotovirus ( stomach and intestinal bug) is not coverd under the influenza shot, that's only for respiratory flu. Flu shot is just something that should be left up to the parent and the peditrician. My children got influenza, before they were ever vaccinated against it. They were vaccinated against it for like 2-3 years, and outside of that first year when they got the shot, they haven't gotten influenza. But they are 15 and 9 and there always seems to be a shortage and my children have strong immune systems, so I have forgone the flu for them because there are alot of children out there who need it worse.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The flu shot doesn't prevent anybody from getting the flu, it prevents hospitalization and possible death from the flu.  :( I'm sorry your lil' one is ill, best bet is to ride it out, it seems to be going around and I've still got it after three weeks.  I hope you all get well.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009