My 20 month old has a fever

His temp is 99+. And a runny nose too. I called his doctor and she told me to give him infant ibrofen for now and bring him to her office tomorrow morning. For now he's not eating anything.
I made him his favorite red beans (in gravy) and plain boiled rice. He won't even open his mouth to taste that it's one of his favorite meals. Offered him a couple of more of his favorite snacks including plain boiled chicken. No such luck. He's literally not opening his mouth. Although I did catch him sneaking a piece chocolate he found in my purse. I took that away from him but ofcourse he had already eaten more than half of it. Which means he can eat but he's choosing not to. Why is that?
Also I can't keep him empty stomach for today. What can I give him? He drank some juice about one bottle of pediasure. He took a milk bottle in the morning too. I want to give him solids. He's not taking any. Should I stick to liquids for now? I'll keep trying to feed him solids. Or i shouldn't? Though he keeps slapping my hand causing the food to spray everywhere :(

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 7:40 PM on May. 7, 2012 in Kids' Health

• First of all, 99 is really not a fever. Not until they are over 100 is it considered a fever. Second, if he is sneaking into your purse for chocolate he isn't that sick. He's playing you. Just keep offering him juice, apple sauce or jello. You can always give him Chinese wonton soup. Eventually he'll get hungry and eat something. Stay away from milk when there is fever. It curdles in their stomach too fast and can come up the way it went down.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:44 PM on May. 7, 2012

• He doesn't feel well so he's not going to eat. Don't worry about it too much. That isn't even really a fever but it IS a good sign that his immune system is working well. Let him rest and have liquids but don't push the food. He'll be okay :)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:45 PM on May. 7, 2012

• He will not starve it is perfectly normal for kids... and adults for that matter... to not eat much when they don't feel up to par. And as Brawn said a fever is a good thing. IMO I eould keep him hydrated and let the fever do it's job. I do not not give fever reducers for any fever under 103.5 unless there is also pain. I always treat pain.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:55 PM on May. 7, 2012

• push liquids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:45 PM on May. 7, 2012