help!!!!!!! please!!!!!

due in 9 weeks (april 1st) im not sure if i should pack the babys come home outfit as a wintery or spring outfit....most of the newborn clothes i have are summer....do i need to go buy a really warm winter outfit??? another thing and this may be dumb and i may get looked down for this but a newborn has their bellybutton which isnt supposed to have clothing rubbing it so how do i put a shirt or cute dress on her if i cant let it touch the belly button(left over cord w/e)....thnx to those that answer

1-teen-mommy

Asked by 1-teen-mommy at 4:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from my understanding loose clothes are ok on the umbilical cord stump, but nothing tight like the diaper. we had my dd in comfy onsies or sleepers instead of pants/shorts so there was no tight elastic rubbing against the cord stump.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You should pack a very very warm outfit. She will not know how to regulate her own temperature yet so that's important. Her outfit can touch her belly. it just shouldn't be tight. And the diaper should always be folded under her belly button.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Depends where you live. I live in Oklahoma and i'm due March 18th. I'm taking a cute dress but taking a cardigan and leotards just in case it's still cold. We have weird weather. You could always pack both to be on the safe side.

kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• its ok to let the clothes touch it you just wana keep the area dry thats all.
    as for dressing baby i dont know where you are from but it may still be a little chilly come april 1st so i suggest a onsie or under neath and maybe something with longer sleeves. make sure you bring a blanket but in the end you can take her home in anything you want. congrats. Our baby is due at the end of april and I too am having troubles deciding what to take him home in.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• bring a spring outfit, and a warmer outfit just in case. It will probably be cool in april still, depending on the state.. so try and find something that will be a little warm.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• also when my daughter came home she had a bandage over her belly button and they gave me a few extra for the first few days.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 5:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• there clothes can touch the cord it just cant be tight so a dress would be a good idea. Do you live in a warm place like flordia or texas if so i wouldnt worry about winter clothes if not and it is cold id pack one of both incase it is warm. It was supposed to be cold on the day i brought my daughter home and in turned out to be really humid luckily i had a warm day outfit for her just in case and I was lucky i did [=
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well I guess it depends on where you live as far as what you should pack. But I would suggest packing something warm. Not too warm and then bringing a nice warm blanket to swaddle the baby in on the way out from the hospital. My son was born in the middle of August and it was COLD! Who would have guessed right?! And as far as the cord goes. As long as the shirt or whatever is loose enough where it is not pulling on it, it should be fine.
    Bayareamommy510

Answer by Bayareamommy510 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It can be touched it won't hurt it. Put the shirt over the head first then the arms then button the legs. I am one that is prepared so I was ready for all season's. Babies should be in somehting warm to go home in anyway because they can't regulate their own body temp. I would use a onsie then I would use a long sleeve either shirt/pant or a really cute sleeper. And don't forget the socks and hat. Congrats!!! Hope labor goes well!:)
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 5:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i didnt think about adding where i am from but i am from north carolina
    1-teen-mommy

Answer by 1-teen-mommy at 5:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009