Multi-age Playgroup......

I'm starting a playgroup with my Church and due to our isolated community we are not able to really separate by age. The group will be birth to 12 years (homeschooled children included). I would love some advice and ideas for activities from those who have done this, or are in an active playgroup with multiple age levels such as this.

Kimebs

Asked by Kimebs at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to go to a multi-age playgroup regularly. When it started, there were two volunteers (non-moms who love kids) that helped care for the children and led activities so that the moms could enjoy talking together with fewer interruptions. When we lost those volunteers, it made a NOTICEABLE difference in the quality of mom-to-mom interaction as well as the value of the playgroup time for the kids. Moms love to talk, so the kids were often left to amuse themselves and then moms would have to run to retrieve a mischevious or wandering child every few minutes.

All this to say that playgroups benefit greatly from 1) having some kid-friendly activities like playdough, holiday crafts, games, playground equipment, etc. and 2) some volunteers (even if moms have to rotate). It would be great to find some older ladies who enjoy children and wanted to volunteer for kid duty!
    3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 6:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• craft days, tours (pizza place, ice cram place), lunch dates, community centers, chucky cheeze, indoor picnics, movie at your house. pj day, muffin mixers (everyone brings something for breakfast), sleding or snow day, play doe party
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009