Is girl scouts / daisys beneficial?

I have a friend that has suggested my 6 year old doing daisys next year in the fall. She has already mentioned gymnastics, dance, soccer and she has a go kart that she wants to start racing. I have told her that she will have to pick and choose, I am not letting her do all that. That is too much for a 1st grader. So just wondering what all it really teaches......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on May. 7, 2012 in General Parenting

• Community service, mainly. At the Daisy level we learn about teamwork, helping other, working for our community, good stewardship
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:28 PM on May. 7, 2012

• DD is in Kindergarten and has been in the Daisy Scouts since last September. Has it benefited her? Not really. She goes to meetings just to be with her friends. She goes to the functions just to be with her friends. She could care less that they are making the old people happy that they are singing Christmas carols or that they are supposed to be learning how to properly bandage a wound...she is just there because she wants to be with her friends. She has fun and that is why we do it.

Her meetings with them was every other Friday. She also has Cheer on Mondays and Ballet and Tumbling on Thursdays. Some children, like my DD, are happiest when they are on the go and busy...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:15 AM on May. 8, 2012

• We're wrapping up our third year of Girl Scouts. I'm a troop leader and I was a Girl Scout myself for 12 years as a kid. For starters, what you get out of the experience is based at least in part on what you put in to it and what your leader puts in to it. The goal of the GS program is to foster confidence and leadership skills in girls. It's to give girls a platform to explore different areas and to develop their own abilities to lead. The troop should be girl led - even as young as Daisies - meaning they should have a say in what the troop is doing and as they get older, they should take over running aspects of their troop. As a leader, I see the impact on my girls. As 2nd graders, my troop has led a workshop at a public event teaching peers, teens and adults how to make a good deed counter. They did not know most of the people they were interacting with at the time. They did a great job in teaching! (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2012

• My 2nd graders have led meetings already. Two weeks ago 2 of my girls guided the rest of the troop in completing an entire badge. They did an fantastic job. They have had the opportunity to do things they would not do otherwise. We're going rock wall climbing next weekend. We've made our own pottery on a potter's wheel at a studio. We've toured a movie theater, a firehouse, a pet store, and a bug museum, among other things. We've been camping already with other troops. We delve into science (this past weekend at a science themed camporee we dissected owl pellets!), we do community service projects. When we started over 3 years ago many of our girls were very shy and not at all willing to take the spot light. Today? They are out there front and center. Was it totally the GS experience? No. But GS is part of the reason.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:42 AM on May. 8, 2012