Bottle breaking a 14 month old

I can't get her to give up her morning bottle and her evening bottle. I have tried the sippy cup and she will not drink milk out of it only juice.

mylittleluvbug1

Asked by mylittleluvbug1 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know its hard...but it can be done:0P All three of my kids were off by 9-10 months old. You can use choclate milk, but you have to be willing to keep using it.....keep a hershey's syrup in the fridge. Usually the morning and night are the last to go, so you are on track. In the morning let her have choclate milk in a straw sippy cup with her breakfast. At night give her a sippy cup also, but don't let it put her to sleep. Give her a bath last or read a story last instead. She will get used to this pattern and drop the bottle before falling asleep.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 5:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• So she WILL use a sippy....only put milk in it. No juice. She will drink it. If she CAN drink from a sippy cup, she doesn't need the bottle.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• mine did that too! so, i let him have those feedings from a bottle and he gave it up around two. to be honest, i enjoyed the quiet time while he sat with me and drank. do what works for you!
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 8:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• This is a really good question. That is all that Max's is taking, the morning and night bottle. When I try to give him his milk in a sippy cup he just lets it roll out of his mouth. Max's doctor said to try chocolate milk, but that did not work either. He will drink milk but just from his bottle. I have tried the straw sippy cups and that did not work. I have tried like 7 different sippy cups and nothing works. He is very stubborn, just like his dad. LOL. He just down right refuses to take it. He also will act like he is going to start taking it and then the will just chuck it across the room and laugh. Let me know if you get anymore tips. Talk to you later!!!
    maxsmommy1213

Answer by maxsmommy1213 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• when my son was 11 months old, i was so tired of taking apart bottles and washing all the little parts of them, that i just threw them away and handed him a cup. he was fine, never cried for a bottle or anything. but, also, when he was 4 months old and we introduced watered down juice to him, we gave it in a sippy cup, never EVER a bottle. juice bottles can cause tooth decaying and such, so, we just avoided it all together. so, he knew something good was coming from a cup, and never gave it a second thought. bottles were only for formula, then a month later, we started giving him milk in his cuppy and he was hooked to his cuppy, now he is 2 and drinks out of a regular cup like we do, never any problems with it. good luck!
    Logansmommy81

Answer by Logansmommy81 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You know I had a little issue with Logan. We tried all kinds of sippy cups too, and nothing really worked. We just told him we threw all the bottles away and showed them to him in the trash. He started using the sippy cup that night. Of course we didn't really throw them away...way to expensive to do that. But it worked. Maybe give her a choice of water in her bottle or milk in the sippy. See what she does. Don't know what else to tell ya. Jenny used a bottle till she was 18 months. Ask mom how she did it. I think she threw it away too!!!!
    logansastinker

Answer by logansastinker at 2:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2009