How can i produce more breastmilk without drinking a class of beer?

I dont drink alcohol and I dont like the taste.I been breast feeding my son for the past couple days (hes a week and 2 days old) and i dont seem to be producing enough milk for his needs..I rather breast feed than give him formula I really need the help

daisy_209

Asked by daisy_209 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is a herbal suppliment called fenugreek you can buy it comes in a pill or as tea.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• what makes you think you aren't producing? If he is only 9 days old your milk may have just started to come in 3-4 days ago. If that long...

Is he wetting enough diapers (around 6 or more)? Nurse on demand, and often... don't stick with a schedule like the hospital wanted... also nurse on one breast per feeding because that insures that he gets the filling hind milk and not just the fore milk.

If after you have tried that you still believe there is a problem eat oatmeal and you can drink mother's milk tea. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• well you could start pumping inbetween feedings, but generally the breast milk production picks up for the baby's needs.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Why would you think he's not getting enough? Nursing frequently is what they're supposed to do, it stimulates your body to make more milk & their tiny tummys digest it with ease. The easiest way to up your supply is stay hydrated, eat oatmeal and keep breastfeeding. Nurse, nurse often and don't supplement. You can also pump after or in between sessions but don't offer the bottle (until you're sure you have a good supply, just save it) to trick your body into thinking it needs to make more. It's all supply and demand. If you're changing diapers and he's content and happy...no worries.
    Anonymous

• When I was breastfeeding my son, the first two or so weeks were hard becaus he was feeding every 20 mins or so, that is normal...it does not mean you do not have enough milk... count his diapers, and his weight, if he has plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight; your milk supply is fine. The more you feed him on demand the more your body will supply milk
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• try nursing tea or mother's milk tea, and eat good!
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Beer won't help you produce more milk anyway, it just helps you relax and letdown easier if you're having problems with that.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Alcohol can actually slow your milk production. The barley in beer is actually what causes the boost in supply. Its also not very safe for your baby. TO quote a few sources

Alcohol is present in breast milk at the same level as in the blood. And that level can continue to rise for 90 minutes after you have a drink. Even if you haven't had much to drink, your baby is so much smaller than you are that a little bit of alcohol for you is a lot for your baby.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that nursing moms avoid alcohol with the possible exception of the occasional small drink. The AAP also suggests waiting two hours to breastfeed after having a drink

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-drinking-beer-increases-a-breastfeeding-moms_10303158.bc

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 6:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• call the hospital you had your baby in and ask for the lactation nurse. she was my best firend for both babies- it can be hard to nurse! if you are worried, go weigh the baby. is he gaining weight like the dr wants? you can find some sort of breastfeeding supports all over... good luck.
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 7:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009