Do you think schools should pay for the feild trip cost for kids who's parents can't afford it?

Our school does, it used to not be a big deal, out of the whole grade maybe 3 or 4 kids had to be covered by the school. I volunteer in the office and now about 1/3 of the kids need the school to cover them. It has gotten to the point that the field trip my son's class is going on may be cancelled because too many people need the school to pay for their kids. I don't think this is fair, I think the kids who's parents can afford to pay for them to go should get to but those who can't should stay at school with one or two teachers per grade and do activities or watch educational movies pertaining to what the field trip is about. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on May. 8, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I can't believe what I'm hearing! $5 to $12 field trips? Our school charges $20 minimum AND I have two kids who are close in age. This week they want me to pay $40 for them to go apple picking. It's not a question of being able to afford it, but that's a nice chunk of change, no? I hate being asked to spend all that for one trip. They also want any volunteer parents to add $12 for themselves. So the grand total if I were to go along would be $52!
    mrscanada1

Answer by mrscanada1 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• well, no andyes, no if they are not on assistance, yes if they are
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• A field trip is not a need.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• no the school should not pay for it.
    JanuaryBaby06

Answer by JanuaryBaby06 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2012

• i don't think it would hurt for occasional assistance to those who can't afford it. it's not to expensive but then "expensive" is different from person to person, family to family. what one can afford the other can't. especially today. the economy, jobs. but that's me.
    RighteousLove

Answer by RighteousLove at 10:48 PM on May. 17, 2012

• macentpntz, that would be up to the parent I guess, to explain that they don't have the money right now. My son's school does do fundraisers but the proceeds go to things like computers the school needs for the kids, new books, things like that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on May. 16, 2012

• How do you explain to a child that they have to sit in a classroom and watch educational movies while their classmates get to take a bus and go somewhere fun, because they're “the poor kid“ whose parents can't afford to pay? That's just downright cruel.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:27 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I don't think schools should charge for field trips. Not public schools anyway. Either the school can afford the activity, parents can hold a fundraiser, or no one goes.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:26 PM on May. 15, 2012

• if possible i would help people go when i could, esp when it is educational!
    Bricaskitty96

Answer by Bricaskitty96 at 11:21 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Children should not be punished for their parent's circumstances. It is mean and petty.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:18 PM on May. 14, 2012