Words of Advice??

My son just had his 6 month check-up and our ped said that he no longer needs to be waking up to eat in the middle of the night. He is 21lbs!! He said to comfort him but not to pick him up when he wakes up. We are planning on starting this tonight....any words of advice?

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 5:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup, don't listen to your ped!! Your son is still a little baby, regardless of his weight, and needs to know that you are there to comfort him. My son is 10 mo old and still wakes at least once a night to nurse and to know Mommy is still here for him (and he's 32 lbs!!). My doctor would never think of telling me a six month doesn't need to wake in the night...quite a few babies don't sleep thru the night until a year old or later...and it's totally normal. Remember, babies cry cause they need something...food, comfort, warmth, etc. good luck to you!!
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 5:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Be patient and loving. And always remember that it is ok for a baby to cry. good Luck you will be in thoughts tonight.:)
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 5:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• my dr told me between 3-6 months, they nutritionally dont need it. my son will be 6 months on the 31st, and still wakes 4-5 times a night to eat. im trying to narrow it down to 1 or 2, but not cut it out all together. for him, breastfeeding is comforting him.
    parkersmommyj

Answer by parkersmommyj at 6:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Oh dear. I've never heard of making a baby stop waking up to eat. I'd only heard that each baby does it on their own schedule. If the baby is only getting milk or formula, then he is probably at the weight right for him. :(

Answer by Bmat at 6:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Many babies wake up out of habit not hunger, so this makes sense.

If your little one uses a pacifier try putting it in his mouth before he fully wakes up and he might just fall back to sleep.

Many people have success by just letting the baby cry, it'll take a few days but I've heard it works. I haven't tried it, but you might have success with it.

Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 6:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• BTW my dd slept through the night since 8 weeks, and she still gains weight just fine. So as far as she goes she didn't need a middle of the night feeding.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 6:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• don't listen. my hubby still wakes up for a mid night snack . we don't lock the fridge so why not let your baby do what's natural to him?
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Hey I say more sleep for you is better for the baby. He doesn't need that milk in the middle of the night. It's only out of comfort and habit. Don't deprive yourself the sleep when you can make the switch.
    Anonymous

• We just did that last week... our son was waking 6-8 times a night at 6 months. Now we let him cry for a little bit before going in... and frequently he goes back to sleep on his own. We were just rushing in there too soon before he had a chance to self soothe.
    So my best advice is to let him try to work it out for a few minutes (maybe 5? although I don't think it takes that long, I don't look at the clock) I think they wake up and cry because it's what they do... but he might be able to just drift back to sleep. If he continues to cry go to him and soothe him and see if he will go to sleep without eating first... if not.. he must be hungry! And feed him.
    My son is waking 1-2 times to eat now.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• the thing that i always did was when he or she wakes up that is when i feed them. so yes do not go by the ped ok.
    ZAGARIPRUSS

Answer by ZAGARIPRUSS at 7:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009