My almost 14 yr old seems to hate her step dad.

we have been married for a year and there was never an issue now suddenly she looks at him like she wants to kill him. I don't know what to do to help them get passed this.

Mrs.Z32

Asked by Mrs.Z32 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you talked to your daughter, and if so what does she say?
    PassionBomb

Answer by PassionBomb at 6:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have tried to talk to her she says there is nothing wrong and I am crazy, but she won't let him help her with homework or anything anymore. and his behavior with her has not changed except he asks me every night why she hates him
    Mrs.Z32

Answer by Mrs.Z32 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I would follow Passion's advice, talk to your daughter.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 6:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Is there any one she feels close to (adult) that you could ask to talk to her? Grandmother, aunt or uncle? Obviously something is amiss.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 6:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• 14 yo's hate everyone 'cept their BFF's.....life is SO rough at that age! PFFF! Sorry I don't have any advice, I'm just at that age where I realize how stupid I was as a teenager, how depressing I was and I didn't even have a reason.
    Anonymous

• At 14 she doesnt need a reason. Hes the step dad and maybe he was cross with her when you werent there and she doesnt want to tell you if she thinks you wont believe her? I would take her out one on one and see if she will open up. I would also talk to dh and see if anything no matter how small could have happened to make her dislike him. I would be worried there was more going on I didnt know about, but thats me.
    Anonymous

• im almost 18 and i hate my step dad, but its not for no reason. him and my mom have been married for almost 8 years and hes a different man then who my mom married. he does absolutly nothing to help around the house or to make my mom feel loved. but if you husbands not doing any of these things maybe your daughter thinks hes trying to take her real fathers place if hes in the picture?
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• her "real" father couldn't care less about her and doesn't speak to her and my new husband is actually a saint he doesn't take sides but is always their advocate he usually says I'm to harsh and I should be more patient and he seldom if ever says NO to them when they want something on weekends its all about them and what they want to do and he gets rewarded with nasty looks.....its sad
    Mrs.Z32

Answer by Mrs.Z32 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• thank ladies.......I guess I shall keep praying : )
    Mrs.Z32

Answer by Mrs.Z32 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Has he ever touched her inappropriately? Possibly during homework sessions? That would be my first guess. It's possible if he has he made some sort of threat if she told you. She may have to confide in someone else.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2009