If you were rich...

Would you still get your kids every single they ask for? I have some friends that are pretty well off. The kids play room is almost as big as my house and full of toys. I just feel it is good for kids too want things and earn money on there own to buy it. The oldest, he is in K, had his B-day last week. I asked him what he wanted for his B-day. His reply was my parents already gave me everything I wanted. I am not rich by far, by kids still get "some" of the things they want. just not every little thing. I just think it's sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 8, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No I wouldn't. I think that by making them wait for the things they want, makes them appreciate the items more.

My girls have a money jar that they are saving up for a few things they want. I don't mind putting money in there for them if they want to help out around the house (they love to clean & garden). I believe that doing this teaches them responsibility.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:04 AM on May. 8, 2012

• Nope, they gotta learn that to get what you want you have to work for it
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:18 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I wouldn't.
    SuperrMommyy I like the idea of a money jar.
    Mrs_Harsh I agree.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:27 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I don't think that I would because I do not think it is good to give them everything that they want.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:40 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I dont think you have to be rich to give your kids everything they want. A lot of people do that.

Answer by gemgem at 10:47 AM on May. 8, 2012

• More money would mean more activities for us to enjoy as a family, not more stuff.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:00 PM on May. 8, 2012

• No, I wouldn't want them to get spoiled
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:45 PM on May. 8, 2012

• No, not even if we were millionaires.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:31 PM on May. 8, 2012

• No. I've worked at a synagogue where the members are very rich and all the kids go to private schools. When I came in to work on Mondays the place was always trashed from the kids. They had no respect for property.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:29 PM on May. 8, 2012

• No, but not because they need to wait, to earn money or work for things/buy things themselves. I mean, my daughter buys things with her own money & makes choices now (and we are not rich! lol)

I think I would have more freedom to buy/do more, to feel like there is more we "can" do. That is the main difference.

It might mean we could pay for certain services, to make life work a little better. Or it might mean we could choose more options in terms of activities. (We are mindful not to get overbooked, but some of our current decisions not to do something have more to do with not having the finances & having to make choices/prioritize.)

I don't think it's "bad" to "have" to prioritize (even if we were rich we'd have limitations, time & quality of life considerations, & we'd still have to make choices & prioritize things) but neither do I think having more freedom because of having more money is somehow a problem.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:46 PM on May. 8, 2012