Have you ladies ever had your Car Engine replaced

I have a 00' Pontiac Grand Am the big body kind and the engine needs to be replaced because i blew ahead gasket and the car is paid for and i was wondering if it's worth it to replace the mechanic says that it'll be worth it since i got a good transmission, we're talking $900.00 to get this done engine and labor. If you never had a engine replaced would you consider it, let me know if you think it's worth it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 8, 2012 in Money & Work

• That is on the cheaper end. Can you get a car for $900 that would be as nice. At least with this one you know what is in it and what needs to happen. A new used car means you have to pay for it, you can look it over but might still have surprise repairs later on.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:51 AM on May. 8, 2012

• @Melbornj the mechanic says the same thing, he said it i run out and get something for that or up to 4,000 he was like you don't no what'll come up later and plus he said what you said about knowing about my own car already and what's in it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 AM on May. 8, 2012

• Would be to me; a replacement car would be a lot more than $900.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:57 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I had an engine replaced on my super old 1986 suburban and while it was worth replaceing it we had many other issues with it previously and a blown engine was my final straw I drove it for about 6 more months then replaced it
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:58 AM on May. 8, 2012

• He is right. The next thing would be the transmission which could be expensive, even a rebuilt one can run thousands, but if he says that it is good then I would go ahead with it and hope to have the car for a few more years.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:58 AM on May. 8, 2012

• that doesn't sound like a bad price at all...usually with a blown head gasket, it is just a rebuild, not a total engine replacement. I've been doing car repairs since I was a teenager...helped replace engines and rebuild them, and so much more (my dad is a mechanic, said if I was gonna drive it, I had to know how to fix it, lol). We just replaced our car that had a blown head gasket but it had many other things wrong with it as well, it just wasn't worth replacing. We blue booked the car and determined the repairs were gonna be as much as what the car was worth so we decided to trade it in for something with less mileage. I would suggest blue booking your car...think you can go to nada.com or kbb.com to do this and see if you feel the car is worth fixing. Buying a car is expensive though, I swear they have gone up in price over the past couple of years. You can also get a second opinion if you are still unsure. GL
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:01 AM on May. 8, 2012

• What can you buy for $900?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on May. 8, 2012

• I had a Ford Escort years and years (and years) ago with an aluminum head that kept cracking. Went through three engines before I finally just got tired of replacing them (all but the first was under warranty, thank God). I'd do it again at least once if need be.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:13 AM on May. 8, 2012

• @mtnaspen what other issues you had with it after you replaced it, so it can still go bad, because at this point my car can't even be driven it overheats bad and blow the hoses
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 AM on May. 8, 2012

• @ Melbornj , i guess it's worth trying , but i'm going to save and if this comes up again hopefully i can buy something better, but for now i need my car it's all i got for now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 AM on May. 8, 2012